Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    238

    Default Effect of (Veiled?) Bra?

    Just looking for opinions here, mainly from the Veil guy, but from anyone else who cares to offer their thoughts as well!

    I have a dark red 97 Grand Am (fairly aerodynamic front, no flat surfaces) with Veiled headlights/foglights/Pontiac logo/chrome strip.

    Do you think there would be benefit in putting a bra on it, and would the benefit come from the bra's colour (black) or the material (leather cloth) not reflecting laser? If it is a material thing, then I am guessing no matter how close the LIDAR gun was, there would be very little for the signal to reflect back from. Additionally, if the bra was misted with Veil (with a plant sprayer perhaps) would the Veil actually soak in or just kind of flake off? I know it would more or less take a lot of Veil to do it (I'm guessing maybe half - 3/4 a can for a light misting certainly not a soaking), but just curious to your thoughts.

    In the Veil FAQ, it is stated that bras will help light coloured cars, but nothing regarding darker vehicles (perhaps neglible effect not worth the effort?).

    If I could figure out how to put a photo of my vehicle in the message I would, but since I am not hosting a website with a URL to point the message to, I don't think I can??

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Founder of Stealthvation
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    11,174

    Default

    I have a bra on my black Civic. It would help with your car so if I were you I would get it
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.


    http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/


    LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!











    You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!










    buyradardetectors rocks!

  3. #3
    Manufacturer
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    3,205

    Default

    Regis,

    Good question. I have been told by a LIDAR "expert" that red is considered a dark colour (even light red) for laser. The exception, perhaps, being if the colour is metallic as opposed to flat.

    At any rate, I would certainly expect that a black bra would compliment VEIL very well.

    The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

    Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

    Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

    Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

  4. #4
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    I can't see the bra making the situation worse with LIDAR, but I do want to offer some of my personal experience...

    the bra will destroy what it is left over, it will basically sand down the paint and make all the metal there rust by trapping mud, water, salt, grit, sand etc making the "deadly cancer paste"... If you were to remove it frequently and clean inside, like weekly, and keep it very very tight, it might not be so bad. But otherwise it will... I'd stay pretty far away from one personally.

  5. #5
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Smaart,

    I told my girlfriend I was going to get a bra today, and she said exactly that happened to her when she had one a few years ago; it took only three months for the front end of her car to be completely destroyed (discoloured paint, scratches, rusting). I didn't know whether to think maybe she did something wrong or not, but with you confirmng the tale, I'll definately stay away. She said the guys at Canadian Tire warned her away from it when she bought it too. I have a dark red car with no flat unveiled surfaces, so I think I'm probably in decent shape anyway then.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Happy, have you had this issue?

  6. #6
    Power User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Evergreen State
    Posts
    3,884

    Default

    Well as long as you keep it clean you'll have no problems however if you leave it on there for a year at a time your going to have some issues. I take mine off every other time I wash my car and have had no problems I think in the long run if you keep it clean you'll save your front end from a lot of nicks & chips. 8)

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holein1
    Well as long as you keep it clean you'll have no problems however if you leave it on there for a year at a time your going to have some issues. I take mine off every other time I wash my car and have had no problems I think in the long run if you keep it clean you'll save your front end from a lot of nicks & chips. 8)
    Holein1, you live pretty close to me. If you ever get a blinder m20 I'd love to test it for free with my laser guns.

    Chris

  8. #8
    Power User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Evergreen State
    Posts
    3,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by holein1
    Well as long as you keep it clean you'll have no problems however if you leave it on there for a year at a time your going to have some issues. I take mine off every other time I wash my car and have had no problems I think in the long run if you keep it clean you'll save your front end from a lot of nicks & chips. 8)
    Holein1, you live pretty close to me. If you ever get a blinder m20 I'd love to test it for free with my laser guns.

    Chris
    Hey Chris I'm going to be buying veil from RR shortly and am also itching to buy the M-20 if I do I'll let you know. Just curious where does all your testing take place kinda looks like your east of the mountains, during the summer months I travel over to Ellensburg & Yakima quite a bit and if you do test over there I would be willing to meet up with you.

    I have a friend who just purchased a z-06 vette it's black has no front plate and has the flip up style head light's he's a bit of a lead foot and is also interested in some anti laser products in your opnion do you think it would be necessary to purchase the m-20 for his vette from some of the other post's I've read on this forum I don't think it would be nessarry however I am not positive?

    Don

  9. #9
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    Smaart,

    I told my girlfriend I was going to get a bra today, and she said exactly that happened to her when she had one a few years ago; it took only three months for the front end of her car to be completely destroyed (discoloured paint, scratches, rusting). I didn't know whether to think maybe she did something wrong or not, but with you confirmng the tale, I'll definately stay away. She said the guys at Canadian Tire warned her away from it when she bought it too. I have a dark red car with no flat unveiled surfaces, so I think I'm probably in decent shape anyway then.

    Thanks for the tip!

    Happy, have you had this issue?
    Well the problem arises because the vinyl moves around while driving, and also moisture/grit can enter through the sides. So it basically "wet sands" the paint while driving. If you take really good care of it you can avoid trouble but it's a lot of trouble to take really good care of it...

    I'll take a picture of the hood on the MX-6, the area behind bra is pretty good, but there is no metal where the bra is, to the point where the hood can not be held open since there is nowhere to put the little "stick".

  10. #10
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SW USA
    Posts
    102

    Default

    OK, my car is dark shadow grey metallic. I'm encouraged that it's dark grey, but I'm discouraged that it's metallic. Any opinions out there? Just to play it safe, I ordered a bra today, which I plan to use only for long distance high-speed runs.

    ---copied from an earlier post of mine today-------------
    Just for the record, probably the cheapest place to buy a Colgan bra is autoanything.com; if you use the coupon code AFF04200 you get $10.00 off a $99.00 purchase (until 6/30/05), which I used to get a "free" storage bag for the bra. Free shipping, too.
    ----------------------------------------

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Veiled Some New Taillights
    By R.J. in forum Laser Veil Stealth Coating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
  2. Veiled out!
    By carboncopy in forum Laser Veil Stealth Coating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 06:10 AM
  3. Veiled Car... Where to put RD
    By Arashi666 in forum Laser Veil Stealth Coating
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-22-2006, 04:49 AM
  4. Just Veiled my Plate
    By Atriety23 in forum Laser Veil Stealth Coating
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 01:03 PM
  5. My Veiled Car **PICS**
    By f_399 in forum Laser Veil Stealth Coating
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 10:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •