Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default License Plate Covers/Veil

I have seen a couple of pictures of plates with VEIL and they just look wrong. I think a LEO could give you some problems if they see that the plate is "modified". My question would be as following: I live in Wisconsin, and I dont think there is a law against plate covers here. How would the police in states where the plate covers are illegal react to me having a laser shield on my front plate?

My next question would be where I should apply the VEIL? Can you see the VEIL after its applied on my head lights? I have seen the LIDAR videos, and I dont want my head lights to look black. I like the S4 because its anonymous, and I would like to keep it like that. I dont want any attention on my headlights or lisence plates.

I just bought a V1 detector, and I am considering some blinders, and VEIL. I have seen all the movies that I can find regarding these products and I have become a believer. I have seen a couple of S4 videos with the setup that I want, but the difference is that I have a plate in the front. I expect the difference to be huge with the plates on, so I want to get a setup that is as effective that it possible can get. I will appriciate any feedback to get my car as laser/radar safe as possible. I just got my third ticket this year and 11 out of 12 points does not look good at all. I dont even want to think about whats going to happen to my insurance now. I know that Im a NooB but I will hang around here as long as there is activity and something to learn. I dont want more tickets and if you guys can help me staying one step ahead of the police.. Im all in.

Newcomer

Your absolutly right about that veiling the plates is wrong.
    I just found out a few minutes ago, as i just wanted to put a thin layer of veil on the plates....now I'm thinking of an excuse why my plates are so dirty when i get pulled over

Good Citizen

yeah thats what Im worried about. I dont know how VEIL works on my Xenon lights either. I just dont want to mess things up because its too darn expensive to fix.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by S4
    yeah thats what Im worried about. I dont know how VEIL works on my Xenon lights either. I just dont want to mess things up because its too darn expensive to fix.
    Veil wont mess them up if you dont like it there you can get a cloth soaked in some rubbing alcohol and it just wipes right off with a little elbow grease(trust me ive had to take 1 off and reapply another coat after i f'ed up the 1st one) but ive heard that veil just outright murders the light output on Xenon HIDs.... or just any projector type HL units (dont ask me why or how) it also dimms reflector type lights as well but not as much as those other types

Good Citizen

so veil would dim the light a lot? or nothing at all?

Power User

there will still be light going through obviously, but ive heard that it RREALLY dims it, a common solution to that is to veil it and then later turn the lights on and kinda remove the veil from where the outline of the light is trying to get out..... albeit that is quite ugly, its the best protection without losing your visibility.... like my brothers 2000 Celica, we veiled all the light housing except for the projector and if you know this particular gen of ceica had a bubble so it was easily avoided and still looks decent..... ive never seen it in the way i was saying before though... that and im not too familiar with the lighting layout of your S4 (or any Audi for that matter )

Good Citizen

oh no. The good head lights is one of the things that I really like about xenon. Would this be obvious to any LEO so that I can pulled over just because the light is dimmed?

Power User

obvious to you---> obvious to everyone else

just go ahead and maybe do the removing veil around the projector thing i mentioned earlier that should help the light while keeping you well defended.......... but probably wont be the most aesthetically pleasing thing ever

Experienced

I just posted this at another thread, but it applies here too.

The simplest solution to that is to take your plates to kinko's. Tell them you are doing a project for school and have them make you a color copy of your current plates on non-glossy paper. Take this copy, laminate it with plastic right there in kinko's.

Buy a cheap transparent plastic plate cover from walmart. Put the laminate copy between the plastic plate cover and mount it on your car. You won't be able to tell the difference and the retroreflective surface will be eliminated. You can also veil the plate cover if you are paranoid like me.

I had the plate like this for more than a year and its still the same.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jackenloper
    I just posted this at another thread, but it applies here too.

The simplest solution to that is to take your plates to kinko's. Tell them you are doing a project for school and have them make you a color copy of your current plates on non-glossy paper. Take this copy, laminate it with plastic right there in kinko's.

Buy a cheap transparent plastic plate cover from walmart. Put the laminate copy between the plastic plate cover and mount it on your car. You won't be able to tell the difference and the retroreflective surface will be eliminated. You can also veil the plate cover if you are paranoid like me.

I had the plate like this for more than a year and its still the same.
    I wont ask to the legality of that......... but does it really pass off as real?