Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diluted Veil?

Newcomer

Default Diluted Veil?

Here's my situation.. I'm in VA, where plate covers are absolutely illegal, and VEIL technically is, as well.. (There's a general "anything that interferes with speed measurement devices is illegal" law in VA..)

I've got a friend who tried some VEIL on his white VA plate (like mine), and the thing came out basically as a dingy purple-grey.. VERY obvious.

I know Veilguy has recommended two coats on plates -- but I was wondering if perhaps a solution wouldn't be to treat the plate somehow to lower the reflectivity (remove the retro-reflective coating, or scuff the plate up a bit so it's not as glossy) and then apply a -diluted- coat of veil? (Not sure if Veil is water-based, alcohol-based, or what you could dilute it with..)

It's a shame, really, since otherwise I think I'd be a perfect candidate for Veil.. '03 Honda CR-V, dark red with a black front bra - curved headlights.. It's just that darn plate that it seems I can't do anything about!

Experienced

Default Re: Diluted Veil?

Quote Originally Posted by tcp1

I've got a friend who tried some VEIL on his white VA plate (like mine), and the thing came out basically as a dingy purple-grey.. VERY obvious.
    In all seriousness, do you actually think the police would pull you over for having a dingy license plate? I've seen the pictures of veil on a license plate, and I really think it would easily pass off as just a dirty license plate.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Diluted Veil?

Quote Originally Posted by fallen8511
    In all seriousness, do you actually think the police would pull you over for having a dingy license plate? I've seen the pictures of veil on a license plate, and I really think it would easily pass off as just a dirty license plate.
    http://www.radardetector.net/Wow-tha...-%29-1357t.php

:wink:

it's dark on a white plate, but you're right, who knows if they'd pull you over. i'll be testing my Lasershield (MD tags) this weekend though, I'll let you know

:twisted:

Power User

I know how it is. I just use the laser shield for my front plate, you can't even tell it's on unless you get real close. Put the Veil on my headlights. This seems to work well for me. Veil on the plate is good, but not if it is illegal. It is just too dark no matter how you apply it. Check out Roy's site he sells the laser shield not expensive.

Manufacturer

We're exploring a possible solution to this...

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    I know how it is. I just use the laser shield for my front plate, you can't even tell it's on unless you get real close. Put the Veil on my headlights. This seems to work well for me. Veil on the plate is good, but not if it is illegal. It is just too dark no matter how you apply it. Check out Roy's site he sells the laser shield not expensive.
    I'd absolutely go with the laser shield, but it is -explicitly- illegal in VA. Veil is not.

So my options:

Veil the plate, and stand a higher chance of -getting- pulled over, and try and argue that the plate's just dirty or munged up by some weird car wax from the car wash..

-OR-

Use a laser shield and stand less of a chance of getting pulled over, but realize I'll almost definitely get a ticket if I do and the cop notices it.

Veilguy.. I hope you know if you folks come up with something lighter / clearer, my money would fly at light speed into your account for an order of the new stuff!

Power User

VA law states that ANYTHING you put on your plate is illegal. Also, anything that interferes with or is designed to diminish the ability of the LEO to get a speed reading on your car is illegal. Basically everything in VA is illegal. Veil and the Laser Shield are both illegal. I choose the laser shield because it is not noticable. You are breaking the law either way, but you have to get noticed first to get caught. And if you do get caught with it just remember it will be some BS small fine with no points. Much cheaper than a speeding ticket and the costly points.

Manufacturer

tcp1,

VG 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

Basically everything in VA is illegal.
    Ain't that the truth! I think there's a law still on the books that states the only legal way to have sex is between a man and woman in the emissionary position.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel
    Basically everything in VA is illegal.
    Ain't that the truth! I think there's a law still on the books that states the only legal way to have sex is between a man and woman in the emissionary position.