Professional

Default Weather and Veil

Guys, I live in Washington, the great state of rain!!!! I was considering buying a can of veil in the future but we just have so much rain here, wouldnt it wash away eventually? I drive in rainy weather all the time and I have no garage. How does this work in bad weather or is there another way to keep it on the plate for a very very long time without worrying about it washing off etc....?

Good Citizen

I believe its reccomend that you apply Veil when its partly cloudy or in indirect sunlight, and not going to rain for 24-48 hours. Also, on a clean dry surface.

Besides the above, there isnt really anything you can do to get it to stick longer except park in a garage or under a tent or something... I mean over time rain will just wear at it little by little...

But the can should do many applications so I wouldnt worry.

On your plate you can either get a clear cover and use Veil on the backside (so that its protected by the elements on one side by the plate cover and the plate itself).... or you can just get Laser Sheilds for the plates themselves and use Veil on the headlights and grille (if its shiny/chrome).

Professional

"On your plate you can either get a clear cover and use Veil on the backside (so that its protected by the elements on one side by the plate cover and the plate itself).... or you can just get Laser Sheilds for the plates themselves and use Veil on the headlights and grille (if its shiny/chrome)."

If I got a clear cover and put veil behind it, it still works? I dont have to worry about a clear cover making things not work right? If not its a great idea and Ill consider doing that so i dont have to apply it everytime it rains. Also what exactly is a laser shield? Is this the type of laser shield recommened for cops who shoot laser or photo radar? Or does it not matter what type of laser, it protects from all? Can you tell me what the laser shield does exactly and send me a direct link of where i can buy it, also how hard is it to put on, does it require installation of some sort like the laser jammer? Last question is, Does Veil and the Laser shield together give greater laser stopping range instead of just veil alone?

Advanced Member

I have the Laser sheild on my front plate but my front plate still has a light coat of VEIL

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vette
    If I got a clear cover and put veil behind it, it still works? I dont have to worry about a clear cover making things not work right? If not its a great idea and Ill consider doing that so i dont have to apply it everytime it rains. Also what exactly is a laser shield? Is this the type of laser shield recommened for cops who shoot laser or photo radar? Or does it not matter what type of laser, it protects from all? Can you tell me what the laser shield does exactly and send me a direct link of where i can buy it, also how hard is it to put on, does it require installation of some sort like the laser jammer? Last question is, Does Veil and the Laser shield together give greater laser stopping range instead of just veil alone?
    Alright, first things first. If you get the clear cover and apply it to the back, all it does it protect the Veil from the elements, and it still works. Most people here use either this method, or apply it directly to the plate (then put a clear cover over the plate). Either way, you are still prolonging the life of the application.

As for the laser shield, RadarRoy sells them here:right here. I bought a pair of them and put one on each of my plates (front and rear). I also stopped by wal-mart and bought a pair of flat black (die cast metal, plain) license plate frames from "bell" for $5.99/each and popped the shields in them, then the plate. (Also make sure you mount the shields with the textured side facing outwards).

The plate sandwich looks like this: ([Black Frame] -> [Laser Shield] -> [Plate] -> [Car])

It does not bend light, it does not obscure your plate. All it does is absorb laser light that the police laser guns use. I'd reccomend this highly over those stupid redlight or speed camera ones.

I'll post pics of my install tomarrow, using my camera phone for pics (its 1MP, good enough for web pics!... wooo V635!)

You can see Sethy's most excellent test of the shields, a blinder, and veil here: http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=1668

RadarRoy also sells Veil too: http://www.radarbusters.com/products/coatings/veil.asp

Definately buy from RadarRoy because he is the kicker of all asses.

Old Timer

Default Re: Weather and Veil

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vette
    Guys, I live in Washington, the great state of rain!!!! I was considering buying a can of veil in the future but we just have so much rain here, wouldnt it wash away eventually? I drive in rainy weather all the time and I have no garage. How does this work in bad weather or is there another way to keep it on the plate for a very very long time without worrying about it washing off etc....?
    Well I will tell you that it rains much more in ohio then it does down there

I had a coat of veil last me about 3 months, I took it to a powerwash every week and it held out great. I took it off to apply a thicker coat of veil, but showing that it can make it through a powerwash- im sure a little rain wont hurt.

Radar Fanatic

Rain has never done anything to my coat of veil. Road debris will erode it eventually but that's from the physical impact of sand and other little things at 65+mph. I re-did mine at least a month ago and it looks pretty much the same as it did when fresh. And we've had a lot of rain around here lately.