Thread: Veil on plastic

Good Citizen

Default Veil on plastic

Hey guys,

Got my can on Veil last week, but it's been raining in Boston for the past week and a half :? and looks like it'll be another few days before I can put it on.

I was actually driving to work this morning and saw a MA statie taking what I can only assume is laser on route 95 south (coming off 128). I took the 128/95 split offramp, and was in a large pack of cars when I see a cop in his normal speed trap location. My X50 did not make a sound (but I was in the slow lane) and it looked like he was leaning out the window shooting laser. Anyways, had I been able to apply the Veil I would have felt a little safer.

Anyways, my questions. I drive an '03 Jetta, and there is a large plastic VW emblem on the front grille. It is plastic, but shiny silver. About 2.5 inches in diameter and just above the front plate. My questions are:

1) Will laser reflect of plastic?

2) Will Veil work on this, and will it look like ****?

Thanks.

-Bill

Good Citizen

The laser wont reflect so much on plastic, as it will the metal film they probably laminate on it to give it the "chrome" effect. I'd veil it just for the hell of it.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by kai445
    The laser wont reflect so much on plastic, as it will the metal film they probably laminate on it to give it the "chrome" effect. I'd veil it just for the hell of it.
    I did the chrome on my grille. It doesn't seem to harm anything but the coating is starting to chip after two months. Probably just a bad first-time coating.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kai445
    I think I'm going to. Will post some pics of the whole thing once I finally get a chance to do it. This rain is killing me!

-Bill

Good Citizen

I drive a GTI and had a Jetta before that.

The emblem reflects light so it will obviously reflect lidar, but it may or may not reflect it back to the gun.

The emblem is also not a typical target. The headlights and front plate are the primary points.

Depending on the color of yoiur car, a smoked emblem may be an option. My car is black and the smoked emblem will go well. They are readily available on many VW enthusiast sites. Try www.vwvortex.com.

Two examples in this thread. In the bottom picture you can see how much less reflective it really is!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1696382

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by synmoo
    Depending on the color of yoiur car, a smoked emblem may be an option. My car is black and the smoked emblem will go well. They are readily available on many VW enthusiast sites. Try www.vwvortex.com.
    I drive a dark blue GLI, what do you think? Not much chrome on it, but I don't know how the smoke will look.

-Bill

Advanced Member

well VEIL will be a perfect fit on your car due to your darker color...You can treat the chrome on the front of your car for total effectiveness definitely treat the head lights and front licence plat and if you don't want to put the VEIL on the plate just buy a LaserSheild.. VEIL will dull the chrome a little bit thought but thats what its ment to do

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    well VEIL will be a perfect fit on your car due to your darker color...You can treat the chrome on the front of your car for total effectiveness definitely treat the head lights and front licence plat and if you don't want to put the VEIL on the plate just buy a LaserSheild.. VEIL will dull the chrome a little bit thought but thats what its ment to do
    I don't have a front plate (yet) but do have the Laser Shield. I'll probably put a light coat of Veil on it for good measure. I think I'll try the Veil on the emblem too, it sits right above where the plate should be, so it would think that some of the laser could hit that too.

Veil is going on as soon as we can get two days without any f-ing rain!

-Bill