Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Applying Veil to the plate, or the plate cover?

I ordered Veil to go along with my X50 AND I'm expecting delivery today, so I was wondering should I apply it directly to the license plate, or buy one of those clear plate covers and apply it to that? My plates are NYS issue which have the reflective coating. I've read that when you apply Veil to it the coating darkens the plate making it more obvious that there's SOMETHING on it, especially at night since now headlights and street lights won't aluminate it as it should. I will be applying it to the huge headlights on my Jetta, what about the rear plate/tail lights?

THANKS!

Lead Foot

I would say put it on the plate cover. I feel that this is less obvious. If you are really looking to protect your plate, get a Laser Shield from Roy and coat one or both side with VEIL. You will definatly be good to go then. Whatever the case, great choices on the X50 and VEIL. You will be very happy with them.

Radar Fanatic

Definitely put it on the plate cover. If you put it on the plate it will be permanently stained purple. I had it on the plate directly for about a day and it's still a little pink. If I get ticketed for my plate cover somewhere then so-be-it. I've got a laser shield on my to-buy list, which I think might be less obvious than what I'm currently using. (It's a little dark.)

The Veil directions state specifically that you should use a cover, coated front and back.

Good Citizen

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I will buy a plate cover and coat both sides. Laser shield? This is good too? Where, on the rear plate?

I was thinking too that if for some reason I turned the plates in to DMV and they notice the coating, I could get in some shiznit over it. :shock: :?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by 12secGT
    Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I will buy a plate cover and coat both sides. Laser shield? This is good too? Where, on the rear plate?

I was thinking too that if for some reason I turned the plates in to DMV and they notice the coating, I could get in some shiznit over it. :shock: :?
    Look on Radar Busters for the Laser Sheild. It definatly helps to deflect/absorb the laser beam. With a good coat of VEIL on it, it works very well. It is similar to a cover, but it is a flat piece of plastic.

Advanced Member

12sec GT i got put a light coating of VEIL directly to the plate this was only after my firneds father an officer informed me that plate covers are illegal in NY even thought everyone has them he said an A-hole cop would right you up for that, So his suggestion was directly to plate so if the officer makes you take the cover off the VEIL is still on the plate and you can say your plate is just dirty....that was his opinion...And to take the VEIL coating off just use windex

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    12sec GT i got put a light coating of VEIL directly to the plate this was only after my firneds father an officer informed me that plate covers are illegal in NY even thought everyone has them he said an A-hole cop would right you up for that, So his suggestion was directly to plate so if the officer makes you take the cover off the VEIL is still on the plate and you can say your plate is just dirty....that was his opinion...And to take the VEIL coating off just use windex
    Really?? Plate covers are illegal in NY? Man. How did your plate come out? Can you post a pic?
    Thanks for the input, man. :?

Banned

The laser shield used just by itself is fine. You don't need to put veil on the laser shield. If plate covers are illegal in your area you're going to draw alot of attention to yourself with a dark colored plate. Use veil for the headlights and use the laser shield for the license plate. The Shield isn't obvious at all.

Chris

Advanced Member

Here are the pics:
    1.Plate with no VEIL, and NO plate cover

2. Plate with no VEIL, with Laser Sheild

3. Thick coat of VEIL vs NON-Veiled plate(i didn't use the plate cover with plate like that)

4.Light VEILed Plate vs NON-VEILed

5. Light VEILed, no plate cover

6.Light VEIL, with Laser Sheild

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the picture the front of my car, the headlights and grill have also been VEIL treated

12secGT i have never seen an officer shooting laser at the rear so i'd say you should be fine if you don't treat the rear
    \\/Picture of VEIL on my passenger headlight(light on the left)\\/

I have yet to notice a different in the light output (with or without VEIL) just so all you know

Scanner-RS Pro-96

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by JammerTests Webmaster
    The laser shield used just by itself is fine. You don't need to put veil on the laser shield. If plate covers are illegal in your area you're going to draw alot of attention to yourself with a dark colored plate. Use veil for the headlights and use the laser shield for the license plate. The Shield isn't obvious at all.

Chris
    They are illegal but not enforced and the main concern against the plate covers is photo radar my friend father told me when i asked him.

As long as your not rock a licence plate like Happy's you should be fine in NY

Scanner-RS Pro-96