Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Tinted head/Tail lights vs. Veil

I was wondering since I have heard that the Veil coating can fade or damage the headlights,instead how much of an effect can Tinting your headlights and taillights have an effect on laser versus the application of Veil coating?

Good Citizen

I really don't know for sure. I do know that Veil is composed of infrared absorbing elements that absorb the IR from a LIDAR gun, but still allows visible light to pass through. I suspect a dark tinted headlight cover would absorb much IR as well, and be nearly as effective, but it would also absorb visible light. Meaning that you have less light output from your headlights at night. This may require the removal of the tinted covers when driving at night. Leaving you vulnerable to LIDAR.

I've not heard about Veil damaging headlights. However, if this is a concern, you could get clear headlight covers and apply Veil to them. I read in another thread where someone here had done this. They put Veil on both sides of the covers and tested it. The results were very good. Here is the thread:
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...adlight+covers

Old Timer

I've read of one singular case here on these Forums of VEIL permanently staining the "lens."

I'm currently soliciting end-user information from other long-term VEIL users to see if they've had the same experience, or to what extent they may have experienced such.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by twood
    I really don't know for sure. I do know that Veil is composed of infrared absorbing elements that absorb the IR from a LIDAR gun, but still allows visible light to pass through. I suspect a dark tinted headlight cover would absorb much IR as well, and be nearly as effective, but it would also absorb visible light. Meaning that you have less light output from your headlights at night. This may require the removal of the tinted covers when driving at night. Leaving you vulnerable to LIDAR.

I've not heard about Veil damaging headlights. However, if this is a concern, you could get clear headlight covers and apply Veil to them. I read in another thread where someone here had done this. They put Veil on both sides of the covers and tested it. The results were very good. Here is the thread:
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...adlight+covers
    The reason I ask is because I do have tinted headlights and although they do cut off some light output, they are not that dark. just enough to block the chrome in the headlights when veiwed from the outside.

I just read the thread of where the person got headlights covers and applied Veil, but am I reading it right when he says on both sides of the covers? Meaning the front and back? Not just the front of each left and right headlight cover?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    I've read of one singular case here on these Forums of VEIL permanently staining the "lens."

I'm currently soliciting end-user information from other long-term VEIL users to see if they've had the same experience, or to what extent they may have experienced such.
    yes, that is the biggest concern I have of applying Veil is damaging my headlights which are custom Projector HID headlights that cost over $1000+ ea. I wanted to apply Veil to the headlights since they had a local gb for a great deal, but couldnt sacrifice the risk of staining them...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by LazerRadar
    I just read the thread of where the person got headlights covers and applied Veil, but am I reading it right when he says on both sides of the covers? Meaning the front and back? Not just the front of each left and right headlight cover?
    That's my understanding too. Front and back. The reason for this is to add an additional layer of Veil without having to put two coats on one side. Since your headlights are already tinted, you may want to just coat one side of a clear headlight cover. Any more than that and it could make your headlights too dark.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX

never had that problem with the veil on my lights but i use pure ammonia for getting it off which is strong then some other materials

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    never had that problem with the veil on my lights but i use pure ammonia for getting it off which is strong then some other materials
    ^ Cool beans, thanks!

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by twood
    That's my understanding too. Front and back. The reason for this is to add an additional layer of Veil without having to put two coats on one side. Since your headlights are already tinted, you may want to just coat one side of a clear headlight cover. Any more than that and it could make your headlights too dark.
    thanks for clearing that up. That is what I thought, does more layers of Veil mean more protection?
    Is two layers suffice or would more layers provide even better JTG? Would 2 coats front and back of each cover to make a total of 4 coats be over kill?

Good Citizen

thanks for clearing that up. That is what I thought, does more layers of Veil mean more protection?
    Essentially, yes. However, you have to balance it against the reduced visible light from the headlights. You want your headlights to still provide enough light for night driving. Plus, if its too dark, it may be illegal.

Is two layers suffice or would more layers provide even better JTG? Would 2 coats front and back of each cover to make a total of 4 coats be over kill?
    If it were me, I would start with just one coat on clear headlight covers. Then see how much your headlight output drops at night. If you feel like your light output hasn't been reduced too much, then you could add a second coat on the other side of the cover. I'm not sure any more than two coats would be wise. Again, you want to avoid making it so dark the headlights don't work.

As for JTG, Veil isn't going to jam a LIDAR gun. The LEO will eventually get a speed reading from other reflective parts of your car. The best you can hope for when using Veil alone, is to get a few extra seconds to slow down. If you want to JTG, you will need to get a laser jammer. A good laser jammer used in conjunction with Veil should give you excellent LIDAR protection. Check the jammer forum for more info on jammers.