Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default Veil + Plexiglass + laser shield

I just want to say that applying Veil to a piece of plexiglass works SO much better than applying it directly to the laser shield. I've never seen such an inoccuous coating. I just used a 2" foam brush and did it right on my table. All the minor streaks have evened themselves out nicely. I'm really going to have to take pictures once I put it on the car...I have a feeling it's going to be great. I wish I could find clear headlight covers for my car so I could do them the same way! Nobody makes them, though.

**EDIT**
    Since I hate to be a tease:

Experienced

you beat me to the punch. I was also gonna post pictures of my modified license plate tests which have included plexiglass and a photocopied license plate. I hope to post the pics and experiments up on the web later this week.

Radar Fanatic

Good stuff. Now all we have to do is some testing. Wish I had a bunch of money sitting around for a ProLaser.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Good stuff. Now all we have to do is some testing. Wish I had a bunch of money sitting around for a ProLaser.
    how far is it to ohio or michigan for you? you could go hang with happya$$ since sethy's at SML. :twisted:

thanks for posting the pics. i got a bigger foam applicator for the VEIL just need to reapply it. there's a ton in that can!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by robert

how far is it to ohio or michigan for you? you could go hang with happya$$ since sethy's at SML. :twisted:

thanks for posting the pics. i got a bigger foam applicator for the VEIL just need to reapply it. there's a ton in that can!
    Oh, yeah. I have absolutely no idea how many times I've applied Veil to my car (including my countless failed experimental application methods) and I still have half a can left. I think I'm getting to the point where I will be satisfied with my application, too!

My other experiment, which seems to be working, is to apply Veil to contact film and then apply that to my headlights. I'm planning two layers of Veil-ed film and then one last sheet on top of it all just to protect it from all the flying debris/headlight wipers. I have the first set of films on there now and I'm going to apply the second tomorrow once everything is thoroughly cured. Bubbles are my enemy, but the streaks are gone!

Power User

Default Re: Veil + Plexiglass + laser shield

I just want to say that applying Veil to a piece of plexiglass works SO much better than applying it directly to the laser shield. I've never seen such an inoccuous coating. I just used a 2" foam brush and did it right on my table. All the minor streaks have evened themselves out nicely. I'm really going to have to take pictures once I put it on the car...I have a feeling it's going to be great. I wish I could find clear headlight covers for my car so I could do them the same way! Nobody makes them, though.

**EDIT**
    Since I hate to be a tease:

Hey just curious as to where you got the plexiglass & how thick is it?? I think I might give it a go if I can find some

Radar Fanatic

I got it at Home Depot. The labels says 0.093 inches thick, and I got an 11x14 sheet which is just about right to cut out a single cover for a North American-spec plate. Cost about $2.50. The tricky part is the holes, which I did just now with my Dremel knock-off.

Power User

I got it at Home Depot. The labels says 0.093 inches thick, and I got an 11x14 sheet which is just about right to cut out a single cover for a North American-spec plate. Cost about $2.50. The tricky part is the holes, which I did just now with my Dremel knock-off.
    Hey thanks I was just looking on ebay and there are quite a few listing for plexiglass but none seem to be the right size or thickness so I guess I'll give good ol' home depot a try.

Advanced Member

Brick for headlight covers for the s70 try...iPd or EuroSport tuning

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Speed Demon

I wonder if the reflectivity of the film will cause a problem? Doubt it's reflective enough.

What kind of film did you get? I think you and I are having the same issues with our glass headlights. I'll reapply using the larger foam applicator this wknd and let everyone know.