Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Rapid Flaking - Plastic vs Glass

In April, I applied my first coat of Veil ever, and admittedly, it was a streaky, less than perfect job. The third week of June I took a 2400km road trip, and although the Veil on my headlights was mostly intact (about 10% chipped) decided to re-apply for a little extra edge. The Veil on my small foglights appeared almost completely intact, maybe 5% flaked, so I did not re-apply that.

This re-application looked much better and much smoother with the tips since posted here (about shaking the can, letting it settle, using the foam brush instead of the paintbrush, etc).

Now that my roadtrip is complete, my headlights are already about 10-15% flaked again. My foglights are maybe 6-7% flaked, almost unchanged from the start of my roadtrip.

Is this amount of flaking in two weeks normal? My headlights have a plastic cover and the foglights glass; is there something I can do to make it last a little longer on the plastic?

Cheers!

My experience has been similar. It's the highway miles, I think. All the bugs and rocks and stuff seem to ablate the coating very quickly.

Apparently The Veil Guy has been working on some improvements. My suggestion would be to make a Veil "film," like the tint you put on your windows. It would be easier to apply evenly, would establish a baseline for "coats," and would probably stand up better to abuse.

FWIW, next time around, I'm going to disassemble my headlights and Veil the INSIDE surface. Or is that a stupid idea? Ya think it might get too hot for the Veil?

Good Citizen

Default VEIL Inside the light cover

I was wondering if that would work, too.

Scratonicity Groupie

I think its a great idea. If it works I might do it to mine

Heat shouldn't be a problem!!!

--staton

Manufacturer

Since some you guys are having the same kinds of issues, we are going to look into making the coating even more durable and resistant to road debris.

We'll try to provide a resolution to this phenomenon - you guys shouldn't have to resort to coating the interior of your lenses, if we can help it.

Mike, since you are relatively close, we will send you a sample that should improve VEIL's durability even further.

PM me when you are in a position to receive it and try it out.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Experienced

Sounds promising Bob, I just wish I was closer than Mike.

You know, I have a feeling a lot of companies would just say "oh well", and expect that increased flaking would improve their sales. Thanks for working on a fix!

There was an enormous amount of bugs on my trip, which did occur to me as a factor. The car wash when I returned was a real b!tch. Perhaps "bug juice" is an effective Veil remover like Windex or rubbing alcohol?

I do find it curious that the plastic headlights seem to be flaking/chipping far more rapidly than the glass foglight bulbs though.

I may try Happy's suggestion of smoked headlight covers with Veil on the inside (and outside) if I can find some since taking apart my headlights to coat the inside didn't look anything like a simple task.

On a 2400km trip, I only encountered a single speedtrap the entire journey, laser, and the guy stuck beside me in the pasing lane (previously going a lot slower than I was until that exact point when we were about even speed due to my slowing down moderately in a construction zone) got pulled over instead of me. I don't think they even targetted me since my RX65 never went off at all, and had they got a reading I would've been pulled over as well (unless the RX65 missed it and the flaky Veil saved me).

Bob, do you have a read on how effective flaky Veil is? With about 10-15% of the headlight surface chipped away, is performance reduced by 10-15% or is it significantly better or worse than that?

Manufacturer

Depending on how large the areas exposed are may have an impact. We do believe one would still have a fair amount of protection because the reflected surface would not be contiguous in this instance which is probably a good thing.

At any rate, perhaps the bug guts could very well be an accelerant to wear. We, frankly, have not formally tested that one.

It is surprising to us that you are experiencing this to perhaps a greater degree on plastic. We would have expected the opposite to be true.

Perhaps it is the particular shape, location, vehicle Cd, and/or the nature of the road debris.

Whatever the phenomenon you are experiencing we are interested in addressing the underlying cause. If Mike sees some improvement in his experiences, then we'll know that we are on to something.

And we'll see to it that we'll take care of you...The next round of product Roy receives should already incorporate an improvement which should serve to minimize this issue going forward. We will keep a close eye on this one.

Thanks for this valuable feedback.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Founder of Stealthvation

Sounds great!
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Professional

"you guys shouldn't have to resort to coating the interior of your lenses"

Wow, thats genius if it works, does it work applying from the inside?

Manufacturer

It is our firm belief that given the nature of VEIL, one would be better served by using the product as it was intended - coating the outside.

Will it work on the inside? Certainly. Will it be optimal? Doubt it.

We have had VEIL on one of our vehicles now for well over a year with no pitting or flaking issues. The vehicle is a recent model 540i with composite (plastic) outer housings.

Something is likely going on here that more than meets the eye, as it were.

Our engineers are interested in investigating and addressing this issue. I trust with this feedback mechanism and our desire to get to the bottom of these isolated concerns, we'll figure it out...

Veil Guy 8)