Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default VEIL just on plate?

If I'm not going to put VEIL on my lights (I don't like even the slightest amount of light reduction and I especially don't like a blue tint to the light), is it worth getting it just to put it on my plate, or if I'm not going to put it on my lights should I just not bother at all? After doing a lot of reading, I put in an order for a V1 yesterday (got a returned unit to save $40 so I had to wait for them to get a return, so it didn't ship until today), and while I don't have the money for an active laser jammer (college student), I'd like to do what I can.

Oh, and I read all the stuff about the V1's false alarms. I like the arrows and the bogey counter though.
    Thanks,
    Richard

Speed Demon

Default Re: VEIL just on plate?

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    If I'm not going to put VEIL on my lights (I don't like even the slightest amount of light reduction and I especially don't like a blue tint to the light), is it worth getting it just to put it on my plate, or if I'm not going to put it on my lights should I just not bother at all? After doing a lot of reading, I put in an order for a V1 yesterday (got a returned unit to save $40 so I had to wait for them to get a return, so it didn't ship until today), and while I don't have the money for an active laser jammer (college student), I'd like to do what I can.

Oh, and I read all the stuff about the V1's false alarms. I like the arrows and the bogey counter though.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Congratulations on your purchase. you will love the Valentine One. Also, did they say whether or not you were getting it with POP or not? I have heard that cops first aim for your plate in states where you have a front plate and then your headlights. I think it will just prolong you getting a ticket by a second or two if you don't put it on your headlights.

Speed Demon

Yep, I asked them, they said it will have the 2band POP and then after I put in my order I said "I just want to make sure before hangingin up, there is no difference between my buying this and my buying a non returned unit" and the person on the phone said that was correct. Basically, the only downside is the additional wait (which for me was lucky that it was only 1 day, but still that means I have to wait until after the weekend instead of tomorrow).
    If they're first aiming for my plates though, I think it would still be a good idea (assuming it actually works, which I'm willing to believe it does) if they are going to first go for my plates then my headlights since if they go for my plates, surely the V1 would pick it up, and that would give me enough time to slam on my brakes while the cop repositions for the headlight, no?
    Richard

Old Timer

Default Re: VEIL just on plate?

I think the true threat of any cop in the next few years will be laser.

Speed Demon

Sethy, why so many different detectors?
    Richard

Newcomer

Default Re: Sethy, why so many different detectors?

marlinspike:

Some don't write down the fact that they've "used" the models they list on their signature. Most post what they "currently use" on their signature. Could be an "ego" thing or "they forgot" thing too though.

Speed Demon

Yep, I asked them, they said it will have the 2band POP and then after I put in my order I said "I just want to make sure before hangingin up, there is no difference between my buying this and my buying a non returned unit" and the person on the phone said that was correct. Basically, the only downside is the additional wait (which for me was lucky that it was only 1 day, but still that means I have to wait until after the weekend instead of tomorrow).
    If they're first aiming for my plates though, I think it would still be a good idea (assuming it actually works, which I'm willing to believe it does) if they are going to first go for my plates then my headlights since if they go for my plates, surely the V1 would pick it up, and that would give me enough time to slam on my brakes while the cop repositions for the headlight, no?
    Richard
    The V1 is the best at picking up laser but it cannot detect it if the cops don't aim laser anywhere near where it is mounted in your car.

http://radarbusters.com/support/spee...or-testing.asp

This test show you that none of the radar detectors alerted when the license plate was shot with laser at 1000 ft. or 500 ft. The reason is the beam is much smaller than radar and doesn't scatter around like radar does.

http://radarbusters.com/support/speedlabs-2004/veil.asp

This tells you a little about Veil's abilities. Remember that the darker your car is in color and the more stealthy shaped your car is, the harder it is to shoot with laser.

Old Timer

Richard
    Ive moved from the ground up. These are all the detectors I have owned in the past. I started with a radioshack, the a whistler, cobra, x50 r, V1, then i ended my search with the x50 b. I am one to base my decision of which detector I like off of my own personal experiance. I dont just buy an expensive detector and go bashing the others. I test them all out first.

And no, its not an ego thing, yes, using all these detectors in the past make me a total badass :wink:

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Richard
    Ive moved from the ground up. These are all the detectors I have owned in the past. I started with a radioshack, the a whistler, cobra, x50 r, V1, then i ended my search with the x50 b. I am one to base my decision of which detector I like off of my own personal experiance. I dont just buy an expensive detector and go bashing the others. I test them all out first.

And no, its not an ego thing, yes, using all these detectors in the past make me a total badass :wink:
    Ahh, I see. I would have gotten an X5 0and a V1 and compared, but again, college student = no money. I do know that I want arrows and the bogey counter though, so even if I had the money chances I would have gone with the x50 are slim (I don't mind false alarms all that much).
    Richard

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by BiGeAsYgUy
    The V1 is the best at picking up laser but it cannot detect it if the cops don't aim laser anywhere near where it is mounted in your car.

http://radarbusters.com/support/spee...or-testing.asp

This test show you that none of the radar detectors alerted when the license plate was shot with laser at 1000 ft. or 500 ft. The reason is the beam is much smaller than radar and doesn't scatter around like radar does.

http://radarbusters.com/support/speedlabs-2004/veil.asp

This tells you a little about Veil's abilities. Remember that the darker your car is in color and the more stealthy shaped your car is, the harder it is to shoot with laser.
    I see. What I don't get is V1 says to get the best laser detection mount it high in the windsheild, but then the testers say to mount it low.
    Richard