Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Re: Your real world veil application guide (uses an airbrush)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip559 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip559
    air brush runs off a compressor (air powered)
    Im sure as long as it wasn't purchased for 5 dollars it will work fine.

Hey! I bought a Badger air brush kit from a hobby shop in town. It was used and $5.

The propellant was more than the airbrush!

Newcomer

OK. Thanks a lot.
    Other post in this website scarred me a little.

I can't imagine a better way to paint than airbrush to acquire industrial finishings.
    I know from my own experience that trying to get professional finishings with brushes is almost impossible no matters if you use the softest butterfly hair brush on the world.

Just use the airbrush it the right way. That's all.
    Thanks again.

Newcomer

I have been looking to apply Veil to my car. I don't want to sound like a snob, and no offense to The Veil Guy, but slapping some dark drippy junk on the front end of my Vette didn't really appeal to me. I used to own a REAL airbrush - but lost it in the "great divide" (i.e., divorce) and I am not about to go buy another one for this one task ... so I got creative in my thinking.

I started looking into "disposable" airbrushes - and I found one I think might work. You can pick them up at Home Depot and they're cheap ~ $5. It's a Preval Spray Gun and here's a link to their site: preval.com, and here's a link to HomeDepots product page Preval @ HomeDepot

It's essentially a spray can sitting on top of a glass jar that will spray whatever you dump in the jar. Additional spray can propulsion refills are ~$4

Veil Guy, if this works you may want to recommend it as an alternate application method. The Vette's going into hibernation soon and I'll let y'all know how well this works (good or bad)
    Last edited by SilvrVette; 11-30-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spiel cheekr mezzeddup

I appreciate the paint course ...seriously the way to cm is some infrared pulsers ...
    in final the only to go ...get ready for spring.
    O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!
    Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible;
    and hence hold the enemy's fate in our hands.

-- Sun Tzu, The Art of War, c. 500bc

Good Citizen

Thanks! This is really informative.

Manufacturer

Yeah I know about hibernation of Vettes. (LOL). I have been "hibernating" my '91 for nearly eight years...one the Dinan 540 came along. (Grin).
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrVette View Post
    I have been looking to apply Veil to my car. I don't want to sound like a snob, and no offense to The Veil Guy, but slapping some dark drippy junk on the front end of my Vette didn't really appeal to me. I used to own a REAL airbrush - but lost it in the "great divide" (i.e., divorce) and I am not about to go buy another one for this one task ... so I got creative in my thinking.

I started looking into "disposable" airbrushes - and I found one I think might work. You can pick them up at Home Depot and they're cheap ~ $5. It's a Preval Spray Gun and here's a link to their site: preval.com, and here's a link to HomeDepots product page Preval @ HomeDepot

It's essentially a spray can sitting on top of a glass jar that will spray whatever you dump in the jar. Additional spray can propulsion refills are ~$4

Veil Guy, if this works you may want to recommend it as an alternate application method. The Vette's going into hibernation soon and I'll let y'all know how well this works (good or bad)
    Just curious how that preval airbrush worked out for you. I want to airbrush my headlights whenever someone gets more veil in stock, but like you this is really the only time I see myself ever needing to use an airbrush. I'm not spending more on the sprayer than I am on the product. Just curious how it worked out or if anyone else had any luck with any other cheap hobby model painting airbrush setup.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrVette View Post

Just curious how that preval airbrush worked out for you. I want to airbrush my headlights as soon as anyone has veil in stock. Like you, this is the only time I ever see myself needing to airbrush anything. Just wanted to see how it came out or if anyone else had any luck with any other cheap model painting hobbiest airbrush setup.

Newcomer

Just buy it and test it on a license plate...

This is a pretty old thread and I believe it is aimed specifically at the G4 product.

Soooo...how would this change using an airbrush for the G5?

The formula is now water-base, so the amonia and whatnot mentioned here...still the same need?

I expect to receive my G5 shortly, and the tutorial Veil Guy showed on the application in one of Roy's videos just said clean the surface with water and a paper towel, shake well, let settle a bit, then foam brush on top-to-bottom, letting gravity do some of the work. Looked E-Z Breezee, and the results looked darn nice from where I sat.

Soooo...is there still any advantage to using an air brush on the G5?

And polycarbonate vs. glass...C'MON GUYS! How the HECK do you test for THAT? Baseball bat? If it cracks, it's poly, if it shatters, it's glass?

Ya know what? I'm betting that if I'm patient there will be some instructions packed in this sucker.

So all I have to do is apply the first coat, cuss, dig the instructions out of the trash, read them, clean off the mess I made, and re-install properly per directions...just like I did with the ceiling fan, the rear speakers for the bike sound system, and the little thingy that holds my cell phone on the AC vent so that I can see EL! when driving. Heck, that last one took THREE tries!

*Sigh*...it's hard to be a man...

"Only a man can understand the pain of being a man." - Ernest Hemingway...just before he ate the shotgun.

Ride safe,
    CR