Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Veil applied to headlights' plexi (with pics). Comments?

Hi, Veil Guy.
    I have a few questions and I'd like others to share some opinions. I have applied veil, it's nicely applied, a smooth film - only one cover, not two, over my headlights' plexi, but in my opinion it's too dark. It also somewhat distorses the light beam. I was thinking if the good resulst could be achieved if I applied it actually onto the light bulbs/lens under the plexi front-glass. I have also noticed that during the night, when applied this way, the Veil film causes light glow like there was moist inside it - I'm pretty sure that anybody can see it, especially the police. What do you think, did I put too much (although I don't know how to put it less) of it on and should I try and dismantle the headlights and apply veil onto the glass (lens) of the headlights? Will the efficiency of Veil be reduced if I put in on the lights lens or is it meant to be applied like I applied it on the pics? Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions with me.

Note the non-reflective headlight surface... Also note the Veil applied on chrome parts and Seat mark on the center mask.

A little closer...

Now that's how blurry it gets. Does it have to be this way?

Another perspective. Btw. it's relatively invisible during the day. A little darker but to live with.

Another close-up...

Now, this is a night shot. Note the "moist" or smoke effect on the plexi...

An upside-down shot.

Front view, note how darker the headlights became...

...compared to this photo with original shiny headlights.

And just for those V1 sceptics - upper mount is almost invisible and yet laser perception is fantastic.

Good Citizen

I also applied a single smooth coat to my headlight covers and have gotten the same effect. I can tell when I pull into the garage that the light output is noticeably diminished compared to before. I'm not quite sure what to do other than possibly burn hi-beams at night to make up for it.

Experienced

Do you think it would be better if we applied Veil directly to inside lenses - lights instead onto front plexi shield? Do you think this would reduce the effect of Veil?

Power User

man thats horrible....it doesnt do that to normal headlights without covers does it....

Experienced

Probably not. But I don't know. But this is somewhat annoying...

Experienced

Whoa... Probably just beginners´ "luck".

Manufacturer

Clandestine,

From what I see in your PICs, you did all right.

Without getting into the details of how and why VEIL works, some of the effects you observed are the function of VEIL.

Light output, however shouldn't be dramatically reduced. If it is, you may want to consider using a light bulb like Silverstar or some other higher/whiter bulbs.

We do not recommend coating the inside of headlight housings alone. The lower gloss is one aspect of the VEIL function. You would likely reduce the efficiency somewhat if you forewent this aspect of VEIL.

BTW, in what country do you drive and what is a SERT?

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Yoda of Radar

SEAT is a Spanish car maker, they got bought out by Volkswagen AG around 1990, now their cars are basically reskinned VW's. Like Skoda actually, but Skoda is supposed to cover the bottom end, SEAT covers the "sporty" end...

Experienced

Veil Guy,
    I was thinking of applying veil to the inner lights, onto the glass lens of the headlights, behind the plexi covers but thenm you think (I have to agree, you're probably right) than this would reduce the effectiveness of veil.
    You probably meant Seat, a spanish car manufaturer? I drive in Slovenia, EU. Same regulations as elsewhere in Europe.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Whoa... Probably just beginners´ "luck".
    Hmm, not really, this is my second application of veil and the first one, with the brush, was far worse. This one was with the new 2'' foam and it spreads well over the surface. But man, it's dark and it actually diminishes the luminosity of the headlights.