Good Citizen

Default Veil vs 3M Duct tape video in the works?

Most of us have seen the 3M Duct tape video done by LittleOverPsl. It's a truly impressive product at reducing IR signature, all while spending only 7 bucks. I was wondering if anyone with a can of Veil will do a similar test like the one seen in this video...

YouTube - 3M Clear Duct Tape

Yoda of Radar

That video seemed pretty inconclusive to me, the duct tape didn't seem to do much, but you can't really tell. Maybe it helped a lot, but I think you would have had to be there.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by JDS
    That video seemed pretty inconclusive to me, the duct tape didn't seem to do much, but you can't really tell. Maybe it helped a lot, but I think you would have had to be there.
    Listen video carefully.

The higher the pitch, the more IR reflection. The 3M duct taped plate isn't nearly as reflective as the plate.

Old Timer

I *believe* that LOPSL has a Honda Pilot to which he's also coated the rear tail-light assemblies with VEIL. It may be possible for him to do a side-by-side comparison, but it would not be of the same housings, since he'd have to use another vehicle's tail-lights to test the tape.

Power User

I am convinced.

/runs goes wrap packing tape all over front of car

Advanced Member
    5680 Oakbrook Parkway Suite 149 Norcross, GA

It is true. Duct tape & bailing whire will fix anything...including laser tickets.

Old Timer

Edweird and I have done some sort of testing with 3M tape. The video is somewhere in a thread called something like "Veil vs 3M tape" or something like that.

Basically, it seemed to have reduced headlight readings when no jammer was on (1000+ down to 700ish I think), but once I had the jammer on, it didn't help much (290ish to 300ish).

As with many of my tests, nothing was conclusive because of lack of runs. Wish I could do a day long test with different materials over headlights and plates. One can dream, I guess.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Won Hunglo
    It is true. Duct tape & bailing whire will fix anything...including laser tickets.
    Actually, a recent medical journal article showed that duct tape was the most effective (out of 10+ alternatives) treatment for wart removal. In other news, a construction repair study showed that duct tape was one of the most ineffective ways to repair a duct. Go figure. Guess "Wart Removal Tape" doesn't sound nearly as appealing on the label.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    In other news, a construction repair study showed that duct tape was one of the most ineffective ways to repair a duct. Go figure. Guess "Wart Removal Tape" doesn't sound nearly as appealing on the label.

That's fascinating, I mean I can see it having other uses, but not being good for ducts? What the hell?