Lead Foot

Default How much of a target am I?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...uto_main_2.jpg

I have an 03 Honda Accord - serioulsy how much of a laser target am I? there really is no chrome or anything on the front. The headlights are somewhat large but not as large and forward facing like on a SUV. So am I a little more protected? A little?

I tried to post a pic of the front of an 03 Accord but not sure how to get the picture on here - can someone tell me how to do that? Thanks!

Old Timer

Headlight, hood, bumper, badge, roofline.

Pretty much the same as any other "average" mid-sized family vehicle.

You'll get clocked, no doubt about it.

Lead Foot

Well I'm too cheap to get a jammer at this point and there's not a huge amount of laser in my area so I guess a can of Veil is my next purchase...

I'm guessing Veil or anything else doesn't do much for a shot from behind? I have heard of the on ramp shots from behind in nearby areas...

Old Timer

VEIL'ing (or otherwise "dressing") your tail-lights and other rear hardpoints will help.

Something is always better than nothing.

However, the rear aspect is typically much more difficult as there are often secondary legal concerns (i.e. tail-light tint/visibility issues), which can be magnified by the fact that even under non-engorcement circumstances, it's quite possible for you to encounter more direct examination of the rear of the vehicle - for example, a cruiser that just happens to be behind you, sitting in traffic.

If passive measures are the only ones available to you, remember that there's power in synergy.

The more you can do to reduce your vehicle's LIDAR return, the better.

Yoda of Radar

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about laser from the rear. Without a serious jammer, you're toast.

From the front, you could have a chance.

First, you'd need to address the front plate. Get rid of it.

Second, the headlights. Veil 'em.

Third, the chrome needs to be de-shined. You could do this in quite a few different ways. Some of our VWs have chrome door handles and we've come up with a sanding technique to make them look just like the brushed aluminum trim on other models. You might want to try that. Or you could paint over it, black is always good.

Fourth, what color are your body panels? If they're flat black, you're in great shape. If they're metallic silver, you're boned. You probably won't be able to improve your situation at all without a jammer.

Lead Foot

Thanks - no front plate in my state. The vehicle is a light gold color - the link to a picture is at the top of the thread (how do I get this on the page w/o the link?). So it's a pretty light color...probably not good! The only chrome is the door handles and Honda emblem on the front (probably 3-4 inches square) Thanks for the help guys!