Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Putting Veil on a new vehicle

Okay guys, first let me say I am convinced that applying Veil to your vehicle is a good idea based on what I have seen and read here, but it is quit a different story from the video of the application when you are applying it to a new vehicle. In the defence of the manufacturers of Veil the instructions do say they recommend masking of the surrounding area. From my recent experience I would say you damn well better if you dont want your paint job screwed up. I had a couple of wet rags standing by when I started the application and used them immediately but the Veil still left steak marks on the paint. Then I went into panic mode and really started trying to get it off but no use. Maybe its because the truck is painted bright red that it is so noticable and I am only talking about a couple of small streaks. They are less visible after my cleaning on them but they are there none the less and I was right on top of it after it happened. After that scare I just removed all of it and didnt attempt the other headlight assembly or the fog lights. Dont want anything to do with Veil until I can figure out how to keep it completely of the paint job on my tacoma

Advanced Member

just have rags ready to clean up the excess it's ok if it touches the paint for alittle bit don't lit it dry their though

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Newcomer

This is a new truck, I wasnt about to let it dry. Wiped it off immediately. Still streaked.

Advanced Member

on the headlights?

I should of mentioned that the rags i uses are coated with windex

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

It is nasty stuff and will stain even if you don't let it dry, the only way to get it completely off your paint is if you go to your local auto body shop and get some very strong wax and grease remover like ppg's dx330 it's safe on paint and will remove just about anything!!

I had the same problem as you when applying veil to my wifes bright red civic, a couple drops got on the paint and I went into a panic mode when at first it didn't come off but after using the wax & grease remover it all came right off!!

The best way to avoid getting any on the paint is to buy a roll of masking tape and use some good old news paper make sure everything is tape/masked off and you'll have no worries!

Don

Power User

As far as the foglights, I found it easiest to remove them all together and then apply veil!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Don

Newcomer

Thanks for the info guys. After the wet rags didnt work I tried bug and tar remover and still didnt come off. Tried to take some pictures to show what I was talking about but its just too light. You can see it if your looking for it though. I will try your suggestions. Just posted this to warn anyone else to use caution. In the video they were coating the crap out of smart asses civic (headlights) with veil and just wiping it off with a damp rag like it was nothing, but his car is also black. Thats a little misleading. Maybe they should title that how to apply veil to a black vehicle. You apply it like that on a bright red vehicle and you are definetly going to be screwed.

Power User

Yea dripped some on my black 03' cobra and just wiped it off couldn't even tell! But do use it I recently had an encounter with the state police and it saved me big time!! :wink:

Don

Manufacturer

tacoman,

Try using household rubbing alcohol on the affected area.

You should be able to remove the material completely. We wouldn't advise using anything stronger and IPA should do the trick.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Professional

I used rubbing alcohol and it came off even the next day on the spots i missed. The alcohol left a white haze so i washed it with soap and water a few days later after the VEIL WAS DRY of course.