Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default One last VEIL question

Can I put VEIL on my chrome, or does it make it look fugly?
    Richard

Cheetah Rep

i just ordered some.
    i have it, but the weather is lousy, cold and rainy. (figures)
    the instructions say ok for chrome parts, but i won't know until i try it.
    i'm going to do it as soon as i get a good day, (hopefully tomorrow).
    i plan on taking before and after pics, so i can let you know.
    i have some chrome trim on the front, and i may try it on my chrome rear bumper.

Manufacturer

Default VEIL & Chrome

marlinspike,

Veil can safely go on chrome. It tends to make chrome look more like a nickle-plated and/or pewter colour.

Before applying VEIL I would recommend that you aim a torch (flashlight) at the front of your vehicle from about 50 paces away in the evening.

Areas that reflect the most light back are the areas recommend for VEIL treatment.

Depending on the angle of the chrome, you may or may not need to use VEIL on these areas.

If the chrome is not wide, I would recommend that use the foam applicator. Before sure to have a damp cloth that you can use to remove any over-paints on the vehicle itself and do it while the temperature is above 45-48F and precipitation is not in the forecast within 24 hours.

After that time it should be very weather resistant.

One more thing. The appearance of the chrome will appear less shiny.

I have used it on my vehicle, and I actually think the final appearance is pretty cool.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

I don't know if this matters but I should add to the eqaution, it's 19 year old chrome and father time has taken his toll. Does this matter? Oh, and I'll let you know how it goes, just gotta wait for the stinkin student payroll payment.
    Richard

Manufacturer

Default Tend to doubt it...

I would expect not. How much chrome are we talking here?

Can you send me a pic?

Is it pitted, rusted, or in good condition.

Perhaps you would want to try it on an inconspicuous area.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Speed Demon

Not my car, but the same body
    http://home.concepts.nl/~vlimmere/images/300SD.jpg
    It's not rusted or pitted, just oxidized and scratched from pebbles and what all. Also, the top of the bumper is covered in chrome. You think I should bother VEILing that?
    Thanks,
    Richard

Speed Demon

Also, the FAQ's say to apply VEIL onto a plate cover. Plate covers are illegal in MD. How much effectiveness does VEIL lose by going straight on the plate?
    Thanks,
    Richard

Manufacturer

Default Plate application

I don't believe VEIL loses "effectiveness", in and of itself, by going directly to the plate.

Many of our European colleagues do just that - apply to their number plates.

The reason we recommend a plate cover it because one can apply two coats, one front and one back, and the coat on the inside is especially protected from the elements. For highly light retro-reflective this does make a difference. In this case, two coats are better than one.

Depending on the colour of your plate, you be able to get away with one. If you plate's light (ie; white) then two is likely essential for maximum protection. Be prepared, though, that your plate may be noticeably darker - which may or may not present a problem for you.

If you do opt to do two coats, leave plenty of time between applications so that the bottom layer sets up well.

I have found that using a bathroom sink works very nicely as a plate holder. Be careful not to let VEIL collect around the letters/number embossings and I would recommend that you use the nie brush that was provided with the product [instead of the applicator.]

Please let me know how it works out for you.

The Veil Guy 8)

Speed Demon

Ok, the check came in, so I'm gonna order VEIL tomorrow. My question is this: you said apply it with temps above 45-48F. How many hours after application can it drop before that. I'm either going to have it overnighted to me and apply it on Thursday with a high of 52 but a low of 21, or just have it sent to me ground and either hope I get a warmer day between the 23rd and 26th (speaking of which, how soon after application can you drive?) or wait until I get back home to apply it since I'll have a garage to keep the car in there. Why oh why did it get cold all of a sudden? It was in the upper 60's just a few days ago.
    Richard

Cheetah Rep

marlinspike,
    i've had the same lousy weather problem. yesterday i applied veil (low 60's), but it got cold last night (parked outside) and some of it cracked.
    the cracks were in areas where it was applied heavier though.
    this stuff is somewhat of a p.i.t.a. to use. i did a headlight with each applicator (brush and sponge) and i like the sponge better, as it seems to leave less streaks, but it also holds more liquid, so it tends to run a bit. i don't like the overall way it looked on my lights or chrome, so i removed it this morning. another p.i.t.a.
    tomorrow if the weathers good, i'm going to try it again. it's not quite what i expected, and i'm also a perfectionist, so i want it to look nice, and not like something painted on, which it did. i have plenty of painting and woodworking, staining and lacquer finish experience, so it's not that i have a problem there.
    i've got before and after pics, and i'll take some more.

Here's what i did wrong/what i'll do different.
    1. i bought 2",3",and 4" sponge brushes. this should make it easier to spread/smooth it out.
    2. once you get a coat on, leave it. even if it looks "thin" in a spot. each additional coat WILL darken it. one of my chrome strips looked like it had flat black spray paint on it.
    3. additional coats will get darker and darker. the more i tried to even out the look, the darker things got. i think the wider brush will help.

i don't know if additional coats add to the protection (range reduction), or not, so maybe The Veil Guy can answer that.

also, they include a copy of the sml report with it. if you have a dark colored vehicle, veil will give around a 50% reduction in range (nice). if you have a light colored vehicle though, it didn't really help. so for those light colored vehicles, i'm thinking you might need a hood bra if your going to use veil.

one more thing. have a bottle of rubbing alcohol handy.
    i think the headlights/fog lights will look good when i'm done, but i'm not sure about the chrome trim. i'll work with it and see how it goes.