Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Exclamation What is a bigger threat - Chrome or Front Plate?

I personally think both are evil for those wishing to absorb IR. But I am conflicted on my top priorities for passive defense. Here is your target to defend, on a budget so in what order should we start stealthing? 9500ix is in hand... Eventually I will add a LI or equivalent - 2 or 4 head (once I have the cash) but am looking for anything now to buy me a second or two. Also advice on jammer install locations. I will work on a night photo and better frontal tomorrow - my wife misplaced our camera.
    Last edited by Aggie; 08-26-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Manufacturer

Default Re: What is a bigger threat - Chrome or Front Plate?

Hands down, your retro-reflective plate.

The effective light magnification can be several orders of magnitude.

I have been able to easily range a plate only (with no vehicle attached) at more than 2500 feet with most police lasers.

Unprotected plates are killers.

Veil Guy
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Yoda of Radar

License plates are unbelievably reflective. They're specially made to be that way.

I'd say for 99% of vehicles, the plate is worse than the chrome. Yours is no exception.

On something like this...maybe the chrome is worse:

Anyway, you're lucky here because BOTH problems can be solved easily and cheaply. The plate can be covered with a Lasershield and the chrome can be scuffed and painted (which will also give your truck a more rugged look). Don't forget the Veil for your headlights

Yoda of Radar

I agree with both of the above statements, the LP is the real killer, not only because it is so reflective, but that is the normal targeting area for an LEO if you have a front-plate.

G4 on the headlights, LS on the plate, and a good jammer, and call it a day.

Speedtrap Crasher

License plate by far.

If you want to attack that grill without damaging your resale, order a replacement grill, have it sand blasted and painted matte black or gray. Also, you will want to do something with those headlights.

No matter what you do, without a premium jammer you will be an easy target.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Good Citizen

Smile Re: What is a bigger threat - Chrome or Front Plate?

Didn’t want to skew your feedback. FedEx just dropped off a pair of Laser Shields (one for each car) and a can of Veil. I am planning on Veiling the backside of LaserShield - overkill maybe. Also noticed the notches on the LS for the plate bolts are quite large, I will cover those with 3M clear duct tape (with Veil on it). Bolts will be flat black and I picked up a flat black metal plate frame from wally world. That was the cheapest first step of passive defense and what sold me is the amount of time it has been taking Central Texas' finest to get a Laser reading on my wife's ”open” grey pilot –According to my 9500I/IX avg 3 seconds. Here are my plans now that I have Veil in hand.

1. Plates covered with LS+Veil
    2. Deconstruct headlights to black out all non essential chrome in headlight well. Very tedious process that will include baking, but the results look awesome as I hate chrome!
    3. Veil lights after step 2
    4. Replace the chrome around the grill to color match paint ~$180 for a new piece – will check with a body shop to see if they can do it cheaper.

Here is where I am conflicted, but need to save my money over the next two months before tackling:

1. Remove bumper chrome, either color match, grey/black out, flat black brush guard to obscure some of the chrome. If I color match/black then I will need to do the rear bumper as well – increasing cost

or
    2. Purchase LI and wait on the chrome, put all four heads upfront until I resolve chrome issue then transfer two heads to the rear.
    3. Final measure will be CR8APL8 but after chrome and jammer

I am leaning towards waiting on LI to see what the competition comes out with and their price point as Cliff just shot outside my price resistance with the increase (I know it’s only $100 but LI was already on the cusp given how frequently I experience a “real” laser hit when not at the PSL – it is more of a trap security mechanism for small central Texas towns that love to artificially lower speed limits). Blinder is looking promising if they figure out the TruSpeed gun. All I need today is one or two extra seconds to let my situational awareness find Elmer Fudd or Fritter hiding behind a tree or leaning against the bridge column in the shade.
    Last edited by Aggie; 08-27-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Old Timer

Just get a jammer, and leave the truck as it is. Or, if you were going to black out your Tundra anyways, get the jammer, and do the mods little by little.

Yoda of Radar

As others have mentioned, the LP is generally considered the biggest threat. That is aim point #1. And it is more dangerous than the chrome, not only because of the retro-reflectivity, but because it is flat, returning a better signal than curved surfaces like the chrome. Stick a Laser Shield on there. Even Veil the Laser Shield, if you don't mind being obvious about it.

That truck would definitely look a lot better without all the chrome. But considering the bumper, I don't really see many viable options for you. I too would just leave it as it is, Veil the headlights and stick an LI jammer on there. Even if you black everything out, you're still going to need a jammer, so might as well just go with the jammer in the first place and avoid the rest of the hassle.
    Last edited by Stealth Stalker; 08-27-2008 at 11:33 PM.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Speedtrap Crasher

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    As others have mentioned, the LP is generally considered the biggest threat. That is aim point #1. And it is more dangerous than the chrome, not only because of the retro-reflectivity, but because it is flat, returning a better signal than curved surfaces like the chrome. Stick a Laser Shield on there. Even Veil the Laser Shield, if you don't mind being obvious about it.

That truck would definitely look a lot better without all the chrome. But considering the bumper, I don't really see many viable options for you. I too would just leave it as it is, Veil the headlights and stick an LI jammer on there. Even if you black everything out, you're still going to need a jammer, so might as well just go with the jammer in the first place and avoid the rest of the hassle.
    He can have the bumper sand blasted and powder coated but it would take some labor (or bucks) depending on your priority.

Me and GTOKyle pulled the front bumper and grill off a a friends F150 and took it down to Allied powder coating and although we had to wait 10 days for it, it came out awesome. So awesome I've been thinking of taking my wheels down there. But I can't be without a car for 10 days.
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Good Citizen

Do you think I will need all four LI heads up front or would two front and two rear work? I have the Laser shield and Veil that I will be apply this wekend (Monday).