Professional

Default First LIDAR save w/VEIL and VEIL's Laser Shield!!!

Well, tonight I had my first real LIDAR encounter with a LEO after I VEIL'd my HL's and Laser Shield!!!!!!!! To set the scenario, I have my STi mounted high above my RVM, plus I have NO jammer (yet). It was about 6:30 pm, and I'm driving eastbound on I-290, wife and son aboard, on my way to my son's yearly checkup. It was raining lightly at that time. Coming up on the Delaware Avenue exit, there is a spot for emergency vehicles and cops to turn around. I look in the distance, and asked my wife if she could tell whether or not that was a cop up ahead (I have a small sty on my eyelid currently, and it was making it hard for me to see). At this point I am doing approximately 70 MPH (speed limit is 55), and I was in the hammer lane with NO cars in front of me. Rough estimate of distance between me and the LEO is about 4/10 of a mile. Not too soon after I asked my wife that question, my STi starts alerting me to a laser hit!!!!!! It was a full out alert for about 8-9 seconds, then slowed as I approached the cop. It was a Town of Tonawanda cop running a Pro-Laser III. As I approached the LEO, I was down to about 60, and kept going. My wife, being the worry wart, said if I got pulled over for the LS it was coming out of MY pocket, with plate covers being illegal here in NY. Well, needless to say, the LEO didn't follow me. I'm not sure if he got a reading on me, but VEIL and the LS did their job!!!!!
    Last edited by Qui-Gon; 10-04-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: First LIDAR save w/VEIL and VEIL's Laser Shield!!!

Nice save, how hard did you break?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Zapple View Post

x2 I will be driving right by you in Buffalo on the thruway to Fredonia from CNY either tomorrow night or Friday morning!

Maybe my countermeasures will get a little laser work-out. Looks like you need a jammer, but the G4 and LS did their duty. 70 in a 55 for a local is a sure-thing out in those parts! Count the G4 and LS paid-for.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Zapple View Post
    Not hard at all...just enough to get to 5 over PSL.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    x2 I will be driving right by you in Buffalo on the thruway to Fredonia from CNY either tomorrow night or Friday morning!

Maybe my countermeasures will get a little laser work-out. Looks like you need a jammer, but the G4 and LS did their duty. 70 in a 55 for a local is a sure-thing out in those parts! Count the G4 and LS paid-for.

Funny thing is that Town of Tonawanda police RARELY run speed traps on I-290, let alone a LIDAR trap. I drive the 290 every day, and I see people driving faster than that at times, myself included. Referencing a post I made earlier in the Beltronics section, I was concerned about having my STi mounted high and getting good laser detection. Guess I got my answer tonight, eh?

Unfortunately with the way things are, a jammer is not yet in the budget (putting a little away at a time). If I can get good results with my current setup, I might not need one with my car (Forest Green - very dark green color).

BTW, in these parts the NYSP use Stalker 34.7 Ghz, and the LIDAR of choice is the Ultralyte 100LR. Maybe an occasional 20-20 (original)...

Newcomer

laser shields = a ticket in NY ? o well.. i have 2 being delivered tomm

Banned

Cool Congrats

Good Citizen

After all the reading here I seriously considering the veil for the HL and the lasershield. Both my cars are Bright Silver so any help is good. I'm not sure if I want to try my airbrush with large tip or a preval for the application. I HATE streaks and spots.

Anybody know how Veil will stick to X-Pel headlight film? The lasershield will probably replace my nice clear shiny Weathertech cover. I wonder how it would look over it because the Weathertech helps hide the slightly damaged plate from my last accident. Those that have the LS do you also have them on the rear?

Do the CR8APL8's reflect less?