Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: W T F

Speed Demon

Default W T F

Is there a way to check if I got the old darker VEIL or something? My initial results are pretty bad. It seemed fine, dark but still fine, on the lights until it started drying, ot made the license plate a very dark gray and streaky so I stripped that. On the chrome I was able to get rid of streaks by using the sponge instead of the brush (speaking of which I found the brush to be very streaky), but it still made the chrome a very dark gray. I was putting on a very thin coat but still everything got very dark. The only thing I left it on was the lights and if tomorrow I see it's dried how it looks now I'm stripping it off now. MaybeI'm doing something wrong, but even if I am, with as thin a coat as I was putting on I don't see why it should be so dark.
    Richard

Lead Foot

Rich, maybe you should let it set and see what the affect is on your lights at night when you have them on. It may be that it's only making your lights look darker but having no relative affect on the lighting.

Speed Demon

Well, while what you say might be true, the amount darker it makes them look makes the car look bad. It looks like one of those ricer smoked light kits for tail lights, especially the turn signals and my fog lights (selective yellow fog lights). Even if my lighting is unaffected, if it stays this dark I'm going to strip it and just take my chances with laser until I can afford a blinder.
    Richard

Speed Demon

Not to mention that if I only have it on my headlights, I'll still get picked up on the chrome and license plate so there's no point.
    Richard

Old Timer

Default Re: W T F

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    Is there a way to check if I got the old darker VEIL or something? My initial results are pretty bad. It seemed fine, dark but still fine, on the lights until it started drying, ot made the license plate a very dark gray and streaky so I stripped that. On the chrome I was able to get rid of streaks by using the sponge instead of the brush (speaking of which I found the brush to be very streaky), but it still made the chrome a very dark gray. I was putting on a very thin coat but still everything got very dark. The only thing I left it on was the lights and if tomorrow I see it's dried how it looks now I'm stripping it off now. MaybeI'm doing something wrong, but even if I am, with as thin a coat as I was putting on I don't see why it should be so dark.
    Richard
    They recommend you getting a license plate cover and coating both sides of that, then sticking that on your license plate.

Speed Demon

Yeah, but as a MD resident that's not an option for me.
    Richard

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    the amount darker it makes them look makes the car look bad. It looks like one of those ricer smoked light kits for tail lights, especially the turn signals and my fog lights
    I see your point on the looks. As far as the chrome goes, I probably wouldn't apply any there myself, but that's me and how I would want my car to look as well.

Did it seem to dry and set very fast?

Speed Demon

It seemed to dry enough very fast, but it wasn't totally set. It also seemed to go through stages of drying. First milky, then smoked, then smokey and milky, and by the time I left (about an hour) it was very dark.
    Richard

Administrator

Default VEIL

If you got it from us, it was the new version

I'm sure that BOB will answer your concerns here shortly
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Speed Demon

Yah, I got it from you. So I guess maybe I'm just doing something wrong I dunno. I know I'm comign across as a VEIL basher probably, but I was just so pysched about it and then when I used it, especially on the license plate, I was so let down and frustrated, and then it added to my frustration when I shook it with the cap loose and got it all over me (I still have like 75% left though so no big...just hasn't been my day in a lot of areas, and this added to that).
    Richard