Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Question Best way to spray on Veil?

Do we need to thin out Veil when we spray it on? If so, with what?

What's the best way to spray Veil on?

Professional

Default Re: Best way to spray on Veil?

Airbrush!!

Experienced

I am not a painter, however with my experience applying veil; I think it would be plenty thin enough to spray as is.

Experienced

Question Re: Best way to spray on Veil?

Airbrushing would not work.

I am wondering if veil has any kind of metallic flakes in it that might clog the nozzle. If it has any then how much bigger are they from standard car paint metallics?

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Cloaked Milan View Post
    Airbrushing would not work.

I am wondering if veil has any kind of metallic flakes in it that might clog the nozzle. If it has any then how much bigger are they from standard car paint metallics?
    looks like u don`t have veil paint yet , u just fishing for info , get the paint first , and a airbrush kit, it works, if u don`t want to get ticket for tint headlights get it with airbrush, and do some test first. also a good prep is a must for a smooth finish.

Experienced

Lightbulb Re: Best way to spray on Veil?

Quote Originally Posted by axel_ny View Post
    looks like u don`t have veil paint yet
    Yes we already have it, just don't want to WASTE it

Also to clarify what we said above, while an airbrush would 'technically' work, it would be only one step above the foam brush. We are more interested in the professional manner to apply it. We have since learned that it does not need to be thinned. Most of the pictures that we have seen from people trying to spray Veil on end up with a lot of orange peel in the finished piece. This is most likely due to temperature and moisture variations.

Yoda of Radar

Yes we already have it, just don't want to WASTE it

Also to clarify what we said above, while an airbrush would 'technically' work, it would be only one step above the foam brush. We are more interested in the professional manner to apply it. We have since learned that it does not need to be thinned. Most of the pictures that we have seen from people trying to spray Veil on end up with a lot of orange peel in the finished piece. This is most likely due to temperature and moisture variations.
    http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...ally-done.html

Quote Originally Posted by languy99 View Post
    looks good, I was always wondering what would happen if you applied it with a hvlp gun, if you get a change to ask him, what gun did he use and what tip size? I would think he would use a DeVilbiss gun with a fairly small tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Wow DJ, that looks fantastic. Can you do me a favor? Please ask how many coats he used. I have a patient that is an auto body painter and wants to "barter off" some of his balance since he's slow now!
    Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    I asked and he told me that he used an HVLP gun(didn't say what brand) with a 2.0 fluid tip.

He said however many coats it took to get the desired look. Sorry, I know that's pretty weak, but tht's all that I got out of him.

Experienced

Smile Re: Best way to spray on Veil?

Thank you for the link djrams80 It's nice to see veil applied with no orange peel. I'll also be using a DeVilbiss gun, plus another new paint gun that I got a yesterday. It's just a shame that the whole process has to be repeated again in a couple of months

BTW - why are your jammers spaced so closely together? I would think you'd get much better response from them if you spaced two of them lower, especially since the plate is down there.

Yoda of Radar

Thank you for the link djrams80 It's nice to see veil applied with no orange peel. I'll also be using a DeVilbiss gun, plus another new paint gun that I got a yesterday. It's just a shame that the whole process has to be repeated again in a couple of months
    I posted the original pictures in November and it looks the same today as it did that day. I have no plans to reapply it.

BTW - why are your jammers spaced so closely together? I would think you'd get much better response from them if you spaced two of them lower, especially since the plate is down there.
    My laser jammers are designed to work independently of each other. Both provide JTG performance or close to it, by themselves(the ZR4s do not JTG the Stalker). If one set dies, I still have proper coverage. I do not have to adjust my driving style, just because something had to be sent away for repair.

Experienced

Smile Re: Best way to spray on Veil?

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    I posted the original pictures in November and it looks the same today as it did that day.
    This is good to hear

My laser jammers are designed to work independently of each other.
    I was under the assumption that using the heads that close to each other causes interference and crosstalk. Are the other heads LI or blinder?