Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default effective range of veil

Hi.

Ok i've read sooooo much about Veil, i even instaleld it on my car, and i've read the websites, and the reviews by guys of lidar but i was just hoping for some confirmation.

Ok.....Firstly, approximately 3 feet - 1 meter?

On some of the testing done.....it has shown that laser guns could still get a VEiled car at around 900 feet? Is that true?

I know that the purpose of veil is to decrease the effective range of the laser gun and make it harder to get a reading.

Here in HK, the laser habits vary greatly. Sometimes they may laser you from over 500 meters away. This happened to me once and i know they didn't punch through till around 300 meters or so coz my RD kept beeping laser for a good 10-15 seconds.

However somteimes they may shoot you at a much closer distance, i.e. 200-300 meters, that works out to 600-900 feet. At such range, would VEil be useless? Would they get a reading on my car instantly?

I veiled my headlights, and license plate. Or would they take several seconds to get a reading at close range? Enough time for me to slow down?

My thinking (pls correct if i'm wrong) is as follows:
    if they laser me from >400-500 meters, chances are i will have time to slow down before they get a reading.

if they laser me from only 200 meters, then it's likely they'll punch through straightaway?

Pls post your comments, thanks.
    Oh and this is assuming there is no jammer whatsoever since i can't afford those, and its illegal.

Administrator

Default Comments

Pls post your comments, thanks.
    Each car, each application, every laser gun, and each officer's method of using that gun is different so its hard to say what type of overall performance you'll get with YOUR car.

All I can say that I have seen as much as an 80% reduction with some cars and applications, and 20% with other car and applications.

Veil used with a good laser defence system is your best bet for protection..
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Founder of Stealthvation

Happya$$ says anyone that owns a jammer without Veil is like someone drinking milk without chocolate
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Professional

:roll:

So......its hard to say exactly what the distances could be? Am I safe in assuming that if the officer targets me from very far away, chances are I can slow down in time?

If he targets me from close up, i.e. under 200 meters, i'd be toast?

Good Citizen

It really depends on the situation. All the countermeasures on this site are designed to "help" you get the advantage and hopefully put the numbers in your favor. All you want to do in increase the time it will take a cop to get a reading, so you have time to slow down.

For you however you may want to consider a black bra as your yellow paint is going to reflect that lidar straight back to the gun as if it wants to help it get a reading...

Professional

No...... i really can't get a bra, it'll look way too ugly. My only option is veil. a jammer is also out since i can't afford that and its very very illegal here.

So....i was mainly concerned with the effectiveness of Veil only with no other counter measure.

Longsnowsm

I would say look at the www.guysoflidar.com tests on Veil and outbraking a lidar attack. I would say on average it doesn't look good that your going to get it slowed before getting a ticket. Maybe if the LEO makes the mistake of taking a long shot at you would you get a second or two to react. Of course it all depends on the gun being used, the distance, weather conditions, and of course how reflective your car is. You might try picking up an Osprey Laser range finder with speed detection ability and do some testing on your own to determine how far out you can pickup a speed on your car. Some tests done here on the Osprey have shown promising results.

I know you mentioned you don't want a bra for the car, but recent tests are showing that the bra and Veil combo really are amazing. Something to consider.

Longsnowsm

Manufacturer

I wish I could accurately assess the performance of each vehicle.

WIth the GoL outbrake tests, VEIL was on a huge light-metallic-silver SUV, probably the most vehicle possible to stealth with either VEIL or jammers.

That said, outbrake tests have done even better on cars like Staton's blue S4 & gray Mitsu Evo.

We have also found that Sethy's light-metallic-silver Cavalier is actually quite stealth with VEIL regardless of the color.

Which suggest to us that shape is a major contributor as well. Your yellow vehicle probably will do better than the silver SUV and not quite as well as Sethy's silver vehicle.

Depending on the median targeting distances you frequently encounter will suggest whether or not that will provide adequate time to slow down.

Good luck.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Professional

Can i assume that once my RD stops beeping, they already got a reading on my vehicle?

2 weeks ago, i was targeted at a very very long distance, over 500 and my RD kept beeping laser for 10-15 seconds until it stoped for 2 seconds, and then again beeped for another 3 seconds.

However more recently, i was targeted at a very close distance of 150 meters approximately and my RD only beeped for 2 seconds meaning they must have got through immediately.

The VEil guy:
    Is it safe to say, that from a very long distance, i should get some time to slow down, but short distance i probably won't?

on the other hand....
    Whats the osprey laser range finder?

Manufacturer

Dilip,

Yes, 150 meters is likely punch-through with your vehicle.

I believe your analysis is correct - the first encounter they couldn't get your speed and the second encounter they did at the very-close range.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook