Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default why not a veil film?

It would be awsome if you all could figure out a way to add Veil to the headlight films (i.e. https://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp), either during creation of film or evenly staining post-creation.

Veil's 3 biggest problems are:
    1) It is almost impossible to apply w/out streaks
    2) It is hard to know exactly how much to apply.
    3) It is messy and requires extreme caution to not screw up car paint.

A generic sized pre-made Veil film would take care of all 3. User cuts pieces to fit car lights.

I'd pay $200 for a piece of perfectly treated film I could stick onto my lights to avoid streaks, mess, and reapplication.

Experienced

Default Re: why not a veil film?

Great idea!Totally agree with you.

Yoda of Radar

Good idea, but my only concern is this:

With the odd-shapes of many headlights assemblies it would near impossible to make a film (even that user can trim) to fit the curvature of most every style a headlight without cracking/tearing or even creasing... Especially ones with ridges/abrupt angles etc.

Yoda of Radar

A vat full of chemicals is a lot cheaper to mix up than to factory produce sheets of plastic that is chemically engineered to filter or block a specific range of light. Even so, a jar of Veil still costs nearly a hundred bucks because the market is simply too limited. Most people simply do not want anything on their headlights, even here. Consequently, someone would have to find another market for such a product that would generate large scale sales before even considering producing such a film, because laser countermeasure people sure aren't going to pay for that.

That said, we already have a thread here where Languy is talking to some company that produces such a film for some other industrial purpose, and we may be able to get our hands on it someday. But as was already said, unless you drive a ten year old POS car with flat headlights, it's going to be very, very hard to make that work out for you.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by GTRstikya View Post
    It would be awsome if you all could figure out a way to add Veil to the headlight films (i.e. https://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp), either during creation of film or evenly staining post-creation.

Veil's 3 biggest problems are:
    1) It is almost impossible to apply w/out streaks
    2) It is hard to know exactly how much to apply.
    3) It is messy and requires extreme caution to not screw up car paint.

A generic sized pre-made Veil film would take care of all 3. User cuts pieces to fit car lights.

I'd pay $200 for a piece of perfectly treated film I could stick onto my lights to avoid streaks, mess, and reapplication.
    about veil i not agree with you, do more test , different application with veil and u will see why. about foil , would be cool.

Yoda of Radar

^^^^

Good Citizen

Try airbrushing. Check out my airbrushing post for my first ever airbrushing application. I personally thinks it came out nice.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb986 View Post
    Try airbrushing. Check out my airbrushing post for my first ever airbrushing application. I personally thinks it came out nice.
    I get the airbrushing deal. Looks nice. But I still have to redo it every so often, and I can't have the HID protective film to keep my lights from cracking and chipping from rocks...film won't stick to Veiled lights I've heard...I want both!!

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore View Post
    Good idea, but my only concern is this:

With the odd-shapes of many headlights assemblies it would near impossible to make a film (even that user can trim) to fit the curvature of most every style a headlight without cracking/tearing or even creasing... Especially ones with ridges/abrupt angles etc.
    I have to disagree.

The most popular shop here in KC, Midwest Tinting, whom I just spoke with today about doing my new car, where all the dealerships take their high end cars for film treatments...i.e. Nissan GT-R, BMW's, etc...have only large sheets of this stuff in shop, not prefab or pre-cut pieces.

They on-the-fly cut each piece of the plyable sheets and use a hot air gun to soften and make plyable to fit the curvatures.

It can't be that hard to find a manufacturer of the sheets to add some Veil into a vat and create a few pretinted batches. Hell some maufacturers already make tinted sheets...why not Veil tinted?

Good Citizen

What about just spraying the film with veil?