Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: non-white plate

Speed Demon

Default non-white plate

I was told that with a white plate like mine it's pretty much expected that VEIL will make it darker. Well, my plates are beat to heck anyways, and the rest of the cars in my family all use Bay plates and I was thinking, would a plate like this be
    a) harder to get than white without VEIL
    b)harder to get than white with VEIL (i.e. if both have VEIL)
    c)not so dark looking after VEIL application
    d)some combination of the above

Speed Demon

Wow, that became huge. It was much smaller on the chesapeake bay trust website where I got it from.
    Richard

Manufacturer

Yeah. Its huge and I got a 1200x1600 display and I still had to scroll!

Nice looking plate, by the way.

I would expect that it may be somewhat harder to get, except, if the material is retro-reflective in nature.

Take a flash light in a dark room and shine on the plate. If you see a retro-reflective effect - almost a sparkling look then the plate will still be pretty visible to the laser, I expect.

I would expect that VEIL, while it would likely darken the plate, it wouldn'y be as noticeable as with a very light/white plate.

Did I get the question right? :wink:

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

Yeah you did. BTW, I think something in the VEIL was left behind in my plate when I stripped with rubbing alcohol cause even in natural light (well, street lamp light which makes the uncoated plate look white, so it's obviously close enough for my eyes to adjust) there is a very very slight purple tinge.
    Richard

Manufacturer

That's why we don't recommend it to go on painted surfaces for this very reason.

One of the materials tend to leech ito some plates (especially light/white ones) that have the retro-reflective (3m) membrane.

Soaking it in rubbing alcohol tends to remove the slight residue in a short time. If you are going to recoat it, I wouldn't be too concerned with it though.

That's why we recommend coating a plastic plate cover. A couple of my PA plates (especially with the earlier formulations) were so affected.

We're working on engineering it out...

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Speed Demon

I see. It will still be effective though, right? I'm planning on just leaving it like this for my drive home, then buying some amonnia, filling up a tray and just dropping the plate in there to soak, then reapply the veil with a roller and see how that works. Will I still be covered for my trip home? I'll probably get one of those treasure the chesapeake plates at some point, but it's kinda cool that my plate is from 1985. I wish my dad had bought one of the 350th anniversery plates when he got this car.
    Richard

Manufacturer

Absolutely!

Our planned improvements are more aesthetic in nature.

The Veil Guy 8)

Speed Demon

So, just to make sure, even though it's streaky and has purple undertones, I've covered fine, right? I know I said I would stip and reapply, which is what I said to my dad when he saw it, but he said not to bother if I'm well protected since it looks like something a little fishy, and therefore cool. So, if I'm protected fine there's no point in my stripping and reapplying.
    Richard

Manufacturer

The plate shouldn't appear that way. I would feel more comfortable if your plate was covered consistently and not as it appeared in the pics.

This tendacy with the "residue" colour is perhaps more compounded by the fact that your plate looks like it is pretty worn due to its age.

The new plate you suggested may be a good choice. It all depends on whether it appears more retro-reflective than your original plate.

My choice would be to select the plate that has the least reflectiveness untreated.

The Veil Guy 8)

Speed Demon

Yeah, I thought about the new plate idea, but I think I'll at least wait until my tags are due so that I can avoid some fees. It doesn't appear as it does in those pictures any more...I guess I'll take some more pictures tomorrow. Part of me wants to stick with the old plates cause they're 19 years old an I like my plate number.
    Richard