Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Re: My Veil Application Airbrush/Brush

I think the real problem with getting clogs with an airbrush and veil is the air source. The veil is sensitive to temperature and, if you use a bottled source it can chill your veil as you progress with the application. I have been wanting my own compressor for a while anyway, this may be my excuse to get one. I really want to try the airbrush, my current three coat foam brush application looks pretty streaky and obvious.

Experienced

Well, my Veil came in today. I did buy a hobby type airbrush and a can of propellant. Practiced with some other paint and the idea of airbrushing is appealing HOWEVER,

I remember seeing a video of a Veil rep applying the product to some headlights.

He made it look so easy. Just a few horizontal swipes across the top, let gravity draw the product to the bottom of the lens and then brush out the "lines" and "drips'.

No painters tape, just a paper towel to dab up product that you get on the bumper or whatever.

Is it that easy? I read so many posts from guys that are not happy with the foam brush application.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by AFineRide View Post
    Well, my Veil came in today. I did buy a hobby type airbrush and a can of propellant. Practiced with some other paint and the idea of airbrushing is appealing HOWEVER,

I remember seeing a video of a Veil rep applying the product to some headlights.

He made it look so easy. Just a few horizontal swipes across the top, let gravity draw the product to the bottom of the lens and then brush out the "lines" and "drips'.

No painters tape, just a paper towel to dab up product that you get on the bumper or whatever.

Is it that easy? I read so many posts from guys that are not happy with the foam brush application.

The rep you're referring to is The Veil Guy himself! He's done it so many times it's an art form for him!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The rep you're referring to is The Veil Guy himself! He's done it so many times it's an art form for him!
    Yeah, I wish there was a general rule for this, but there really isn't. Everyone reports a different experience with application. Some make it as easy as Veil Guy does. Some have a lot of problems getting it right. And some give up in frustration, swearing to never touch it again. It's impossible to predict what your experience may be. Suffice it to say, the more artistically detail oriented and patient you are, the better your results will be.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Advanced Member

Very nice. I tried to do it on my EX..It was a nightmare. My wife let the dog out, and of course he knocked it over. I am curious what the temperature was when you did this great job.

I just orderd another bottle. They even had a coupon on the site that I bought it from for $10 off.-$84 total
    Last edited by Jstglockem; 02-07-2010 at 11:27 PM.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Jstglockem View Post
    Very nice. I tried to do it on my EX..It was a nightmare. My wife let the dog out, and of course he knocked it over.
    You're lucky. My wife forbid me to have anything to do with my ex.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Advanced Member

Good One
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

Oh...figures

Experienced

Well, practiced on applying the Veil to a clear license plate cover using the brush. All I can say is....it looked awful. And NOT because I used to much product, or didn't use a good foam brush ( I went to art store and bought better quality foam brushes) or because the temp wasn't right. None of that. Just a very tricky product to apply easily.

There's something in the product which makes it sticky and whatever that is, is the culprit.

So, I removed the product using the ammonia. That was not as easy as you might expect. Trick is to apply liberally, let sit for a bit, then RUB off with a terry cloth towel. Something with some non abrasive texture to it.

Anyway, then I re applied with the air brush. MUCH easier and MUCH better finish. Not perfect, but pretty good for the first try. Here's what I discovered (when I did the back of the plate). Better to use less air and use the lowest (less paint) nozzle setting possible. Shoot a tack coat, let dry, do a final coat. No more than 2 total.

I hung the plate with 2 coat hangers run through the holes in the plate and rack in the garage, out of direct sunlight.

When totally dry, I will photo and attach.

There is no way I would recommend you do this with the foam brush.

Spend the $25, buy one of those inexpensive airbrush kits that use an aerosol propellant and AIRBRUSH the product onto your surface. You won't regret it.

Good Luck.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by AFineRide View Post

When totally dry, I will photo and attach.

....Still waiting. I read another post about a guy whose application, 24 hours later, was still tacky to the touch. I thought it was his application process. Now, I'm not so sure. I am going to take the advise I gave him. Put a shop light on it...

Not sure why it doesn't dry faster.?