Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Good Citizen

Default Re: My Veil Application Airbrush/Brush

AFineRide- That sir is OUTSTANDING!!!!

What time did you say you were coming over here to veil my taillights? Hahaha

When you cleaned the first foam brush veil off, you used straight ammonia right?

Good Citizen

Looks very good.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    AFineRide- That sir is OUTSTANDING!!!!

What time did you say you were coming over here to veil my taillights? Hahaha

When you cleaned the first foam brush veil off, you used straight ammonia right?

Thanks. I think it turned out pretty good.

Unless the supermarket sells something ammonia is some other form, yes, I used straight household ammonia.

I learned that it's easier to spray the ammonia on with a spray bottle, let it sit a few minutes and THEN vigorously rub off with a terry cloth or other towel that has some texture.

Might take 3-4 soakings but eventually you will get it off.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by AFineRide View Post
    Unless the supermarket sells something ammonia is some other form, yes, I used straight household ammonia.

I learned that it's easier to spray the ammonia on with a spray bottle, let it sit a few minutes and THEN vigorously rub off with a terry cloth or other towel that has some texture.

Might take 3-4 soakings but eventually you will get it off.
    Good tip! Thanks!

Love the sig banner!! haha I really like my 220.

Good Citizen

I finally got around to applying the Veil to my headlights and driving lamps. It took two attempts using two different techniques before I ended up with decent results. The brush technique suggested by sdh7711 was easiest and provided the best results for me. Thanks sdh7711 for the great advice!

My first attempt was with an airbrush that I purchased at a local arts & crafts store. I cleaned the headlight and driving lamp covers as suggested by others. I then followed the procedure to prepare the Veil by shaking the can for 10 minutes and heating the Veil with a hair dryer. I applied the 1st coat and then waited 10 minutes before applying the 2nd coat. The final result was that the headlights looked great in the garage but looked terrible when I pulled the car outside in the sun. The headlights came out spotty like AFineRide's license plate cover. I decided to clean the headlights and driving lamps off and try again.

The second attempt I decided to use the small sponge tip brush that came with the Veil kit. I dipped the tip of the brush in the Veil and applied the liquid to the headlights. I then took the medium size sponge brush and kept smoothing out the streaks until they disappeared. I applied the 1st coat and then waited 10 minutes before applying the 2nd coat. I found out that the less liquid you use the easier it is to remove the streaks and it comes out looking like it was airbrushed.

Here are the photos. (The last photo is without Veil for comparison.)

VeilG4PSHL.jpgVeilG4DSHL.jpgVeilG4FrontView.jpgM47FrontinstallSonata.jpg

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by AFineRide View Post
    Well, Finally dried... Something wrong there. Must be the Temps.

Anyway, it turned out 100% better than the foam brush, however, if you look at the photo carefully, you can see a very faint spotted pattern. Might be the nozzle setting on the sprayer.

Going to try it one more time with less volume out of the nozzle and one more time with the foam brush using another posters suggestion of heating the product first and then barley dipping the edge of the brush with product. Maybe I had too much product on the brush the first time.

PS: This was a SMOKE color plate in the first place.

How many coats did you put on? What is the recommended number of coats or what to look for using a airbrush? Airbrush lays out a lot thinner coat then brush.