Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default My Veil Application Airbrush/Brush

Well I decided to start my own Veil application page cause I hit several road bumps in doing it but learned a few things that I think can be passed on and be very helpful.

First step was getting some denatured concentrated alcohol and cleaning the headlights and fog lights and front emblem. Mine were in good condition so no restoration necessary. I then took blue painter's tape and masked it around the headlights and fog lights in two layers....make sure its done PERFECTLY or Veil will seep through.....you'll see it on my fog lights...BUT rubbing alcohol takes it off real easily if you mess up.

I bought an airbrush kit to spry it which was working great until after the first headlight and fog light then the thing clogged on me. (this happen to anyone else airbrushing veil?). So this was road bump one which caused me to switch gears and use brushes instead. Granted I was bit PO'D here having to do this but might have struck gold too.

Here is the biggest thing I discovered! Take one of the smaller sponge brushes and dab the tip in. Thats it just dabbed it dont drench the thing. Apply it to the middle of the HL and then smooth it out to the sides. it will go on as a very very light coat almost transparent. Then use one of the bigger brushes to smooth the lines out. Do the same for the fogs but this is trickier as they are smaller.

I then did 5 runs of this over my HL, fogs, and front emblem each time just dipping the small brush and applying a light coat on the light then smoothing it with the large brush. I let each application dry about ten mins before the next. The result was no streaks or brush lines...almost an airbrush like application, ie pseudo hybrid.

I also used the big brush and veiled my Laser Shield cover as well. Used the big brush one application although it seeped through the plate holes to the other side and looked junk but using rubbing alcohol on the backside took ti right off looks perfect. (note i used the big brush to smooth my lights during application afetr veiling the LP cover so you may have to dip that slightly the first go aorund on the fogs and HL).

So here's some pics any questions fire away. You'll see my prep pick then reg lights Vs veiled and the front plate. Makes em look slightly tinted, quite nice actually.

But I think i pulled off an airbrush like approach using the brushes in thin multiple layers giving on streaks. Oh and you can def veil the laser shield...I did just one layer though on that not 5.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: My Veil Application Airbrush/Brush

That looks very good. Nice job.

Yoda of Radar

Great job! Thanks for the info! Veil Guy should sticky this.

I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have been a lot easier to pull out the light assembly than to spend all that time masking around them though, lol.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Great job! Thanks for the info! Veil Guy should sticky this.

I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have been a lot easier to pull out the light assembly than to spend all that time masking around them though, lol.
    I actually would like his feedback on this approach.

And it only took me about 15 mins plus or minus to tape both HL's and the fogs ya smartarse

Yoda of Radar

Yeah, but seriously, most headlight pods like that come out real easily. Gotta be a lot easier on the back to set them on a table and do the work like that instead of having to bend over all that time. That's what a lot of people have done in the past, and certainly what I would do.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Manufacturer

Stealth Stalker,

Stickied as requested!

sdh7711,

Nice looking app. I personally love the violet-gray look that Veil imparts on metallic silver vehicles like yours.

I think it looks chic.

Veil Guy
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 04-23-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

Looks good. SO,,, When are you coming by to do mine?

Yeah, but seriously, most headlight pods like that come out real easily. Gotta be a lot easier on the back to set them on a table and do the work like that instead of having to bend over all that time. That's what a lot of people have done in the past, and certainly what I would do.
    Really depends on the car. For example with my RSX to take the headlight out you need to remove the entire front bumper cover.

But overall this method looks great! I will probably attempt to do something similar when i get veil.

Newcomer

Depends really. If the HL is easy to remove and disconnect within 15 mins sure.

But if you have both HL's and fogs my way is def less work. plus each application for HL's, fog's, and front emblem took only 5 mins each time. Thats not that long to be bending over or just getting down there like a baseball catcher by each light.

Newcomer

Thanks for the great post! I was wondering about the best way to airbrush!