Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veil thickness

Stealthy

Default Veil thickness

Hi,
    Here are two pictures of headlights with 6 very light coats of veil from a hobby spray-gun. I haven't caught up with anyone with a LIDAR gun yet and testing with 940nm LED's and a camera proved futile as did testing with a flash, all things considered I would say using those two methods of testing gave no indication the veil did anything.

One headlight is in the shade and the other is in direct sunlight.

015.jpg
    014.jpg

Any thoughts on going darker?

Default Re: Veil thickness

What are you trying to accomplish? First of all police lidar is 904/905Nm and not 940Nm. All you wanting to accomplish is reduce the amount of lidar reflection on your lights.

Stealthy

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee Driver View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish? First of all police lidar is 904/905Nm and not 940Nm. All you wanting to accomplish is reduce the amount of lidar reflection on your lights.
    While I could have reduced the current to the LED to bring it down to approximately 904nm I didn't bother, if you think that would yield a better result I can try it. There isn't an electronics store with laser diodes here to choose from or I would use them the LED's are a real pain to test with.

On a side note I Sprayed my Number plate covers lying flat on the ground and by comparison they turned out really bad, think I'll strip them down and suspend them vertically to respray.
    Last edited by Stealthy; 04-27-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Yoda of Radar

Wow, that looks very nice!

Unfortunately, all the Veil advice that I have seen from Veil Guy come from a brush-on perspective. Consequently, we don't yet have any real way to quantify spray-on applications. And every sprayer applying differently, there's not much way to standardise it like we can with the brushes. So, whether or not you have enough on there to do the job is hard to say.

That said, Veil Guy has said that it only takes a single brush-on coat to achieve the intended benefits. Perhaps if you could brush paint one of your plate covers, as shown in the Veil Guy videos, let it dry, then compare that darkness to that of your headlights, you'll have some idea of the equivalent.

Veil Guy, would it be possible to produce some videos illustrating spray-on Veil application, and giving advice on the process, since this has become such a popular option?

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

You put 6 coats of VEIL on that? Six as in the number after 5, or VI?

Stealthy

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishOne View Post
    You put 6 coats of VEIL on that? Six as in the number after 5, or VI?
    yep, six coats, it's a pretty wicked spray gun, creates the finest of fine mists.

Good Citizen

Unhappy Re: Veil thickness

I used and HVLP spray gun and it puts out a nice even coat, but not as dark as a single bruch stroke. Put two coats on and uses alot of veil product because of overspray. Slight problem though, came off in a car wash two weeks later. I am hoping that it was my install. I have enough left to try one more time. I don't like to see hundred dollar bills grow wings and fly away!!!!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
    y...creates the finest of fine mists.
    It must because it looks BRAND new!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Put two coats on and uses alot of veil product because of overspray. Slight problem though, came off in a car wash two weeks later. I am hoping that it was my install. I have enough left to try one more time.
    Wait... two coats on two headlights used half a friggin jar of Veil? That's an insane amount of overspray!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Good Citizen

Brushed on fog lights and they are holding up. There is enough to do two more coats on the headlights. The Veil is very thin. It runs down the lights alot more than when using a brush, but ther is no visible brush strokes.. I can deal with overspray if the finished product looks good and last. Two coats, sprayed on is fairly dark. It is alot of product used..