Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional

Default veil coming off :(

so i reapplied veil to my headlights 2 days ago and since i didnt do such a good job on one headlight, i decided to re-do it today. i used a portable hair dryer (reccomended by the veil guy) to make sure the coating was dry becuase i knew that it might rain later that day. well it did rain and when i got home, i looked at both headlights and there are spots that look as if the veil has chipped off!! i would have expected this to happen on the headlight that i applied today, but the other one looks the same!! any ideas as to why this happend? did i do something wrong when i applied it, like not put a thick enough coat on it? or did i screw up my can when i applied some the first time and forgot to shake it?

Yoda of Radar

How cold is it in Wisconsin now?

I'd probably remove the headlights and take them in your house, let them get up to room temperature before applying. Then give them a good 12 hours drying time, or more. Who needs headlights when the sun's up? 8)

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    How cold is it in Wisconsin now?

I'd probably remove the headlights and take them in your house, let them get up to room temperature before applying. Then give them a good 12 hours drying time, or more. Who needs headlights when the sun's up? 8)
    when i applied it was about 55-65 and just dropped lately to about 45-50 for highs. lows kinda cold tho i guess, like 35-40's

Newcomer

Mackid343,

I dont think you screwed anything up other then, mixing wet weather w/Veil.

Same exact thing happen to me. Rain and Veil, dude, do not mix. Funny, that's what the directions say too!

If you hit my link below you will see how removing veil went for me. Some scary moments as I thought my headlights were F***** for a while!

Good news is, using rubbing alcohol, patience and a lot of elbow grease, all of it came off a-ok.

Note I have two very diff kind of headlights. Some fancy kind on the miata and one more normal kind on the trooper. Both eventually cleared off to "just like new".

Be sure hit the 2nd link on the site titled FASTHAPPY to see the headlight pics and there are 2 pages there.

Speedon!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by fasthappy
    Mackid343,

I dont think you screwed anything up other then, mixing wet weather w/Veil.

Same exact thing happen to me. Rain and Veil, dude, do not mix. Funny, that's what the directions say too!

If you hit my link below you will see how removing veil went for me. Some scary moments as I thought my headlights were F***** for a while!

Good news is, using rubbing alcohol, patience and a lot of elbow grease, all of it came off a-ok.

Note I have two very diff kind of headlights. Some fancy kind on the miata and one more normal kind on the trooper. Both eventually cleared off to "just like new".

Be sure hit the 2nd link on the site titled FASTHAPPY to see the headlight pics and there are 2 pages there.

Speedon!
    same thing happend to me when i tried taking my first coat off. it scared me a bit but i kept scrubbing and it all came off. did you have the same problem of it coming off after a day or 2 in the rain? or just after you put it on?

Professional

instead of taking the lights out, since i'm not very mechanically inclined and dont want my parents to have a fit, what if i set up a portable electric heater in front of my car and let it put heat on the light for a while, then apply the veil? that would certianly dry it quite completely

Newcomer

[/quote]same thing happend to me when i tried taking my first coat off. it scared me a bit but i kept scrubbing and it all came off. did you have the same problem of it coming off after a day or 2 in the rain? or just after you put it on?[/quote]

Yes and no. Yes for the rain effect issue. Was heading up to door county, campin, knew that applying it 24 hours before I bolted was risky as "scattered showers" was in the forecast. FnA. Life in Wisconsin. Approx 30 some hours later, on the road, it started to sprinkle. Not aheavy rain at all.

By the time I got to door county, the veil had flaked off well over half of each headlight.

Prior to that tho, the veil stuck on the troopers headlight like superglu.
    I mean, I ran that thing thru carwashes etc, didnt smudge or budge.

BUT - on the miata lights, I applied it same way as I did on the trooper and after a 8 hour, high speed car ride, it was starting to come off.

Wasnt flaking off as it did w/the rain but more like, worn, rubbed off.

I can only guess the diff between the trooper app where it stayed on thru thick and thin and the miata's wearing off might be:

1) diff headlight materials
    2) rate of speed during travel

As for heating up your lights now to reapply, seems like a decent idea to me *IF* you make sure to unplug or remove anything that might spark up - your veil!!

I do believe, its flammable.

Professional

i'm sorry to hear about ur situation.

U should throughoy clean your headlights with alcohol. Let it dry, then reapply veil. make sure you shake the can and let it sit for 5 mins.

Then, try not to drive your car immediately coz the wind/dirt will mess up the veil. and definately do not let the veil get wet for at least 24 hours.

Professional

well the remaining amount of veil has stuck quite well so i'm guessing i just didnt let it dry long enough before driving. wont do that again... instead of being an idoit and driving about an hour after i applied and hair-dryed the veil, i'll hair-dry it and let it go overnight or longer if i can

Professional

any photos?