Radar Fanatic

Default Consistency of Veil?

I've always assumed that Veil is pretty thick stuff, as paints go. Is this true? I ask because I'm at my parents place for the weekend and managed to find my old Testors airbrush kit. I remember that I always had to thin-down the regular model paint a bit to get it through the brush smoothly. Do I have a chance of using it un-thinned? If not, and this is probably a question for Veil Guy, do you think that a small amount of airbrush thinner would ruin the IR-absorbing properties of Veil? Let's assume that I use several coats to make up for the dilution factor. My hope is that I can make this work though some experimentation, and that the results will be a more even, less noticeable coat on the license plate than given by the brushing/sponging methods.

Lead Foot

I know you asked this directly to the Veil Guy, but here's my best guess. If it does flow like paint but is already very thin and liquidy it seems it should spray very easily and dry much faster with no streaks. You'd probably have to do some sample sprays to see how it flows from the gun.

Old Timer

Default Re: Consistency of Veil?

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I've always assumed that Veil is pretty thick stuff, as paints go. Is this true? I ask because I'm at my parents place for the weekend and managed to find my old Testors airbrush kit. I remember that I always had to thin-down the regular model paint a bit to get it through the brush smoothly. Do I have a chance of using it un-thinned? If not, and this is probably a question for Veil Guy, do you think that a small amount of airbrush thinner would ruin the IR-absorbing properties of Veil? Let's assume that I use several coats to make up for the dilution factor. My hope is that I can make this work though some experimentation, and that the results will be a more even, less noticeable coat on the license plate than given by the brushing/sponging methods.
    It is not thick. it is actually runny

Manufacturer

That is correct.

We have intentionally kept the material very thin with an extremely low viscosity and Newtonian flow characteristics (think 0 weight motor oil.)

VEIL's properties should not be affected in the slightest and I would be interested to see what you come up with.

BTW, my company won't rest on its accomplishments, and will always try to find ways to improve the formulation of VEIL to allow for easy application in the greatest range of temperatures possible.

Please, keep us posted.

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Lead Foot

That means you shouldn't have to thin it out at all. It sounds like it's thin like a wood stain.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by SETITOFF
    That means you shouldn't have to thin it out at all. It sounds like it's thin like a wood stain.
    I'd say that's very accurate.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

Sounds like this might just work! If it's like a wood stain then it ought to go through the gun as-is. I'm not exactly sure when my Veil will get here (having it shipped ground from Roy), but when it does I'll be sure to take plenty of before and after pics to post.

Manufacturer

Cool beans.

I have said it before and I'll say it again: this forum is very cool!

The Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

Agreed. In the month that I have been participating in this forum I have found more information on radar detectors and related equipment than in all the time prior put together. It's a wonderful thing.