Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default semi OT: license plate paint

As my plate soaks in rubbing alcohol to get rid of the pink tinge I got from earlier incomplete VEIL removals, I notice that the black lettering it also starting to wear away. Does anybody know what type of paint I should use to repaint the lettering...though now that I think about it, I could just put a few extra layers of VEIL on the letters.
    Richard

Speed Demon

Ok, soaking your plate in rubbing alcohol may not be a good idea. The pink wouldn't come off so I started rubbing aggressively with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol, and that's taking the pink and all the metalic reflective stuff off. We'll see how this looks when I'm done I guess.
    Richard

Radar Fanatic

Ehh...you didn't want the reflective stuff anyway.

You might try modeling enamel from any good hobby shop. It's not water soluble and you can get it in any color you can imagine. You stand a good chance of matching the original paint. I imagine the Veil on top would keep it from wearing too quickly.

Speed Demon

Well, sure I dont' want the reflective stuff, but without it, it looks a little funny, and I don't know how I'm going to get it all off without also rubbing off the writing "Maryland." We'll see...this is gonna take some time.
    Richard

Speed Demon

Ok, this is aweful. Like I always say everything bad happens to me. I couldn't get the reflective stuff to come off uniformly. I hope things would blend together after applying VEIL but they haven't, so I guess I'll try again. I really don't want to have to get new plates cause I like my plate number.
    Richard

Speed Demon

Well, I've got it better...but to be totally candid, if I knew the plate would turn out like this I would have just decided to take my chances with laser. Right now I'm waiting to hear back if there is any way to get a plate replated (since I've already been told there is no way to get the same plate number). If they say know I'm going to write my Congressman and see if he can get my plate repainted.
    Richard

Manufacturer

marlinspike,

the moral of this story is to use a plate cover when at all possible (as we recommend in the manual) especially when white/light plates are worn due to age.

we will continue to try to eliminate this effect (this was more apparent in the earlier versions of VEIL) with future generations of VEIL.

will make it right for you, in the meantime...

the veil guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

Yeah, that is the moral of the story I do believe. Is retroreflective paint available in the free market or just to the state? If my congressman fails me I bet I could find a paint shop to paint it...if the paints can be found.
    Richard

Manufacturer

personally i would not use retro-reflective paint.

this kind of paint can increase by 2 magnitudes of order (100x) the amount of reflected light, i believe.

the newer plates appear to have a (3m?) film that is either retroreflective and/or diamond-etched to enhance reflectivity.

the veil guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Speed Demon

That might be what this plate had. It was like a shiny metal layer on top of the white paint of the plate.
    Richard