Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Laser Protection Alternatives???

Just from hearing what other people have said I take it that I am already at an advantage for having time to slow down because my car is a 2002 blue dodge intrepid. The whole car is very flat and has no chrome or straight reflective surfaces on it. Also since it is blue it has a better chance of absorbing the laser beam.

I plan on putting somesort of plastic material in front of my liscense plate to make it less reflective to the beam or use some 3 m clear duct tape.

I as of now have my radar detector, a whistler 78 Se, right next to my rear view mirror on the left side...would it be smart of me to place it in the center bellow my mirror???

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Laser Protection Alternatives???

Laser isn't something you can take the cheap alternative with. Having a blue car, or a bright pink car won't give you enough time to slow down before you're screwed.

putting your radar detector low down doesn't do much, you're losing radar detection range, and IF your RD goes off saying laser, it means you've already been painted and it's too late.

If you cover your license plate, and the license plate covers are illegal, that's just another ticket you have to worry about. It wont help you much anyway. The laser beam is too wide to focus ONLY on your license plate, the beam will probably shake and hit somewhere else on your car and get your reading.

Get jammers, there's nothing else to really do.

snoopyc4

No alternatives. You either get a jammer or slow down.

Newcomer

What I mean though was that having a blue/dark car certainly does help. Placing my radar detector just below my RVM will help though in picking up the laser signal. By mocving my RD down 2 inches surely won't make a huge difference in Radar detection.

Is it true that as long as your radar detector is sounding for Laser that the cop still is trying to get your speed??

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JW91031 View Post
    What I mean though was that having a blue/dark car certainly does help. Placing my radar detector just below my RVM will help though in picking up the laser signal. By mocving my RD down 2 inches surely won't make a huge difference in Radar detection.

Is it true that as long as your radar detector is sounding for Laser that the cop still is trying to get your speed??
    You'd be surprised at how a few inches, even a few centimeters effects detection.

The sound for laser means the cop HAS your speed. If you don't have jammers, and your RD goes off saying laser, you're done.

A TruSpeed can get your speed in .33 of a second. Can you slow down that fast? I think not.

snoopyc4

Completely untrue. When you hear the laser alert, they already have your speed and are getting ready to pull you over.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JW91031 View Post
    What I mean though was that having a blue/dark car certainly does help.
    Only if you have jammers, otherwise, no.

Newcomer

I understand your point but...It would seem more likely to me that if the LEO is shooting your car for more than a second that they are doing it because they can't obtain a reading. Thus making the time your laser detector is on for equivalent to how much time you have to react.

Radar Fanatic

If you don't believe us, test it out yourself. Put your RD low down. Cover your LP, and speed. See what happens when you have a laser encounter.

Newcomer

I'm not saying I don't believe you ... it just seems more logical that the LEO would shoot you for longer since he cant get a reading...I mean why else would he keep shooting you???