My Veil finally showed up so I gave it a shot with the airbrush. It might just be that I have a crappy brush, but it didn't work out so well. I had a hell of a time getting it to go through properly. When I finally got it to flow I ended up with more Veil in the air than on the plate. After I'd run for cover and aired out the room I gave it another shot on a different setting. This time I got plenty of veil on the plate...too much. The thing came out positively black. (It looked like I'd tried to paint it black to match the car but failed miserably. Very ugly.) I cleaned it off andtried again with the bristled brush but that came out the same...way to dark, very obvious. So I can definitely confirm what everyone else who's tried it already knows: it takes a few failed attempts to get it right.
What I've finally settled on, and looks very promising as it sits wet on the table, is a very light coating of Veil on the plate plus a plate cover that's coated on both sides. (I couldn't find a plate cover at Autozone so I just went with a spare piece of plexiglass from my remote display housing project.) I'll post pictures when it's done and on the car. It's going to be dark but hopefully not obvious. I think that the airbrush thing would work if one had a higher-quality piece than my 10 year old POS Testors kit that's meant for painting plastic models. Oh well. I guess it was worth the attempt.