Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default To Veil, or just go active? (I won't do both)

Driving a black '99 miata with no front licence plate, my car is already quite stealthy. I know the argument is that Veil works best with stealthy cars, but if the car in its current configuration is fairly stealthy, maybe I should just get a laser scrambler since it's going to take him a second to see me anyways, giving a scrambler a chance to adjust.

My car looks very similar to this guy's for reference, although my top is tan and I have the stock alloy (shiny silver) rims:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832854

Going with a scrambler would require mounting it in the "mouth", which isn't as close to the headlights as is ideal. On the downside with the scrambler is that I may be moving to a state where it is illegal, and I honestly believe they'll be illegal in most states by the end of the decade.

What are your thoughts?

Note: I already have a quality radar detector.

Banned

Default Re: To Veil, or just go active? (I won't do both)

Quote Originally Posted by Studdg
    Driving a black '99 miata with no front licence plate, my car is already quite stealthy. I know the argument is that Veil works best with stealthy cars, but if the car in its current configuration is fairly stealthy, maybe I should just get a laser scrambler since it's going to take him a second to see me anyways, giving a scrambler a chance to adjust.

My car looks very similar to this guy's for reference, although my top is tan and I have the stock alloy (shiny silver) rims:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832854

Going with a scrambler would require mounting it in the "mouth", which isn't as close to the headlights as is ideal. On the downside with the scrambler is that I may be moving to a state where it is illegal, and I honestly believe they'll be illegal in most states by the end of the decade.

What are your thoughts?

Note: I already have a quality radar detector.
    Although Veil is a great product I don't recommend it to be used stricly by itself. If you will not buy both a jammer and Veil I say buy a jammer first. On that car you should be fine with a Blinder M20 or an Anti-Laser jammer when it comes out.

"Scrambler" is a term coined by RMR, a maker of passive jammers that don't work. I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to be sure.

Get a Blinder, Lidatek, Anti-Laser, or ZR3.

JTW

Manufacturer

I would think that Veiling first would be a good choice. Why?

Because, black vehicles that have no chrome, no front plate, and are aerodynamic make the best candidates for Veil.

With Jim's black Trans Am he was able to get readings down to under 600' (for front plate) and under 200' (when headlight targeted) with Veil only.

With a decent detector, that should adequately protect you for a majority of laser encounters.

You also have the advantage that the Miata's front is even smaller than that of Jim's car and no front plate. That can only help you.

If, after using Veil, you even want greater protection, a jammer is a natural extension.

Going with a jammer first (and only), mounted down low, given the Miata's mounting limitations, will likely expose weaknesses; jammer placement is extremely critical.

With a modest investment in Veil, it may get you 70-85% of the way.

For what amounts to about $10 per application with Veil, we feel its the best value going...

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Radar Fanatic

Veil first.... save money then get a jammer

Radar Fanatic

I think it depends on how fast you drive and how often you encounter laser. Personally I only see laser a few times a year. What's more, I try to drive fairly close to the limit but with the flow of traffic. Around here my odds of being pulled over are pretty slim on most days. For me Veil makes the most economic sense. A good jammer might be better but is it worth the $350 minimum investment? In my case I don't think so. Not yet, anyway.

Professional

For a black car, and no front plate, i'd definately say to veil it! Especially if you don't have xenon headlights.

It will give you good protection to few hundred feet, and seldom you will encounter such a situation where you're unable to visually spot the officer at so close.

A jammer can still have it's downsides.....Sethy had one experience like that, where only his side of his vehicle was targeted and he still got a ticket coz the jammer could not reach the targeting gun due to a car in front blocking it.

Plus, if ur worried about the legality issue, then definately veil is the way to go for u.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy

Because, black vehicles that have no chrome, no front plate, and are aerodynamic make the best candidates for Veil.

With Jim's black Trans Am he was able to get readings down to under 600' (for front plate) and under 200' (when headlight targeted) with Veil only.

With a decent detector, that should adequately protect you for a majority of laser encounters.

You also have the advantage that the Miata's front is even smaller than that of Jim's car and no front plate. That can only help you.

If, after using Veil, you even want greater protection, a jammer is a natural extension.

Going with a jammer first (and only), mounted down low, given the Miata's mounting limitations, will likely expose weaknesses; jammer placement is extremely critical.

With a modest investment in Veil, it may get you 70-85% of the way.

For what amounts to about $10 per application with Veil, we feel its the best value going...

Veil Guy 8)
    Here is the thing though Bob. A laser jammer is also a laser detector right. Veil will no doubt do what you say in the statement you made above, HOWEVER I don't think his detector would alert him to the laser at that short of a distance, therefore he might absorb/diffuse the beam for a while, but since he doesn't even know he's being shot he'll continue at the same speed and get a ticket.

Cops in the city using laser frequently aim at your car at 300' or less. Motorcycle cops are hard to see when they park under the shade of a tree or overpass.

If you get a jammer you will practically NEVER get a laser ticket on that car, but if you get Veil you have a chance of getting a ticket.

Cost of Veil $100.00 + $150.00 speeding ticket = $100.00 shy of a laser jammer.

Just buy the jammer first and get Veil second.

JTW

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JTW
    A laser jammer is also a laser detector right. Veil will no doubt do what you say in the statement you made above, HOWEVER I don't think his detector would alert him to the laser at that short of a distance, therefore he might absorb/diffuse the beam for a while, but since he doesn't even know he's being shot he'll continue at the same speed and get a ticket.
    A V1 ought to be reliable enough to do it. Maybe not a Belscort, though.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy
    Veil Guy 8)
    Well there is one hypothesis :wink: :wink:

Veil is relatively cheap and worth it. A jammer is too depending on the frequency you get hit with lasers.

Keep in mind, "legality" is for the most part a moot point. You are already speeding... a jammer should pose little to no problem for you.

Manufacturer

JTW,

Your assumption that Veil will afford one a $150 ticket [and a jammer wouldn't] is just that, an assumption of yours.

In most targeting scenarios, one would be hard-pressed not to notice a LEO targeting with laser at say fewer than 500 feet with or without a detector.

Further, if in a curve at such close proximity, a jammer may provide diminished performance because of the relative angles of the transponder head to the LEO's laser gun.

Especially considering the difficult install (way down low) can you provide a jammer that consistently and in all cases provides JTG performance? I think not: "Practically NEVER" is an oxymoron.

Cost of Jammer $350.00 (plus install) + $150.00 speeding ticket = $500.00 (plus install). $410 (plus install) more than Veil. :wink:

At any rate, Studdg solicited opinions. We provided ours. There are others (including yours)...The decision is, of course, his.

Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook