Manufacturer

Default IMPORTANT: Please READ About Newer HID Headlights

A couple of things happened yesterday that were related and I think it is important that I share them with all Veil users or would be users.

I was made aware of a TSB from GM concerning headlight cracking and crazing and issues related to same.

The bulletin warned against using the following materials on headlights, as they may contribute to causing damage.

These include:

Dust Removers
    Rubbing Compounds
    Touch up Materials
    Oil Removers
    Tire Cleaners
    Prep Solvents
    Alcohols
    Car Wash Soaps at Too High of Concentration

Given this, if these materials are going to be used in general or in preparation for Veil application, be sure NOT to leave them on for an extended amount of TIME! Just play it on the safe side and be careful.

The second part of their TSB stated do not operate headlights during anything that is covering headlights and I assume that is liquid material or solid material, such as shop cloths.

Now the related issue that I experienced was on my 5 series. I was cleaning my headlights and I used a combination of isobutyl alcohol (not common, though) and ammonia and water to thoroughly clean-off the lights. It was cooler last night when I did this and the car was running with the headlights on.

As I applied my cleaning materials, the heat of the low beam lights was causing the fluid to evaporate quickly and "smoke off" as it was drying. To my shock and surprise, my headlight started to craze/crack precisely in the center area of the focused projected light beam. And it is pretty noticeable now. Given this experience and the GM bulletin, whenever you clean your lights, prep your lights, or apply Veil, make certain the LIGHTS are OFF and not cooking the materials. It is possible that the different temperatures that occur during drying may contribute to the crazing/cracking. Before operating lights, make sure Veil or any other material applied is COMPLETELY or nearly COMPLETELY DRIED, so there would be no evaporative temperature differences.

The issue with headlights may be more related to the higher intensity HIDs and projection type systems that likely generate more focused heat than anything else. As a result, I think it is prudent that I make these issues known, and I believe I should also include some notice about this in our future packaging.

What do you guys think?

Veil Guy
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 10-19-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: sp
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Default Re: IMPORTANT: Please READ About Newer HID Headlights

you should put it on the label to protect the customer's lights and YOU (sorry im IT at a big law firm and "whos at fault" is 2nd nature now)
    Last edited by olliec420; 10-17-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

RadarBusters Associate

Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy View Post

What do you guys think?

Veil Guy
    It sucks that headlight casings are going to be this sensitive.

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRadar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy View Post

What do you guys think?

Veil Guy
    It sucks that headlight casings are going to be this sensitive.
    I was very surprised that GM is pointing to car wash soaps. I mean, come on, wouldn't that be expected that someone would actually consider using car wash soap to wash their car?

At any rate, I think its better for people to be aware of this whether they are Veil users or not. It's good info to know...
    Last edited by Veil Guy; 10-19-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Manufacturer

I have been browsing other forums of late and have found a good number of similar issues.

These issues are not just related to GM, but other mfrs too. These examples are from owners that don't even use Veil. If you google "cracked headlights" there are posts on a good number of car forums:

Lexus, nothing used in particular
    Honda S2000, Lamin-X
    Hyundai Genesus, Lamin-X
    Nissan/Infiniti and Corvettes
    BMW's (X5s)

Perhaps there is something going on with newer material and/or headlight combinations. Older lights used to haze and yellow, it appears newer ones crack and craze...