Default Installing Veil - the "Next Step"

Okay, got my Veil yesterday and had the chance to pull the car into the warehouse at work to install it today.

I followed the instructions exactly...ummm...well...let's say I TRIED to follow the instructions exactly, but...fate intervened.

Anyway, by following the (no-brainer) instructions the product went on slicker than Grace, although there should be a warning about the odor. Do NOT stick yer nose down to the can and take a deep whiff, trying to figure out where those rotten eggs must be, because you will pick yerself up from a heap in the far corner of the warehouse, mumbling something about "badgers 'n' grits" and other such nonsense.

Not me, mind you. That would be stupid. So I didn't do that. Honest.

But alas, after about 4 hours I had to drive home, the product totally dry to the touch. The instructions say "No wet stuff for 24 hours" and clouds are rolling in, but I had to chance it, hauled fanny for home and...it started to mist.

Not "Rain", 'zackly..."mist". Just a little.

Ratz. Oh well, nothing to be done but tough it out, make it home and assess the damage.

So I do. Get home. And assess the damage. Not too bad, but yeah, you can see the residue of some little droplets, maybe still a small amount of moisture on them, no telling if it's actually hurting or not. Like maybe if you had INTENTIONALLY spritzed just a wee bit of water on it with a spray bottle. Just a spritz.

So back to the dilemma, I think "Hairdryer?". Naaaah. "Hairdryer on cool?". Naaaah.

I grab a NEW, CLEAN microfiber cloth and do a bit of light buffing, staying with the grain of the brush strokes and...

WHOA! Dude, it looked darn good before, but now...it's PERFECT!

Oh, it's still there...no doubt about that...it's there all right, and just peachy, but...it's PERFECT! FACTORY!

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I said "LIGHTLY!". Zero elbow grease. Lovingly. Like caressing your...errrr...well, whatever your favorite thing is to caress...that bowling trophy on your mantle, for example.

Whatever.

VG, ya gotta give this a look-see...check it out. Seriously.

Ride safe,

CR
    Last edited by CeeAre; 02-25-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Poor syntax

Default Re: Installing Veil - the "Next Step"

Cant eait to pick up the new stuff. After a few uses of my g4, the can spilled, now i have a black hole in my garage, put it realy is time for me to reapply. Guess i need to get out the air brush.

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by CeeAre View Post
    Okay, got my Veil yesterday and had the chance to pull the car into the warehouse at work to install it today.

I followed the instructions exactly...ummm...well...let's say I TRIED to follow the instructions exactly, but...fate intervened.

Anyway, by following the (no-brainer) instructions the product went on slicker than Grace, although there should be a warning about the odor. Do NOT stick yer nose down to the can and take a deep whiff, trying to figure out where those rotten eggs must be, because you will pick yerself up from a heap in the far corner of the warehouse, mumbling something about "badgers 'n' grits" and other such nonsense.

Not me, mind you. That would be stupid. So I didn't do that. Honest.

But alas, after about 4 hours I had to drive home, the product totally dry to the touch. The instructions say "No wet stuff for 24 hours" and clouds are rolling in, but I had to chance it, hauled fanny for home and...it started to mist.

Not "Rain", 'zackly..."mist". Just a little.

Ratz. Oh well, nothing to be done but tough it out, make it home and assess the damage.

So I do. Get home. And assess the damage. Not too bad, but yeah, you can see the residue of some little droplets, maybe still a small amount of moisture on them, no telling if it's actually hurting or not. Like maybe if you had INTENTIONALLY spritzed just a wee bit of water on it with a spray bottle. Just a spritz.

So back to the dilemma, I think "Hairdryer?". Naaaah. "Hairdryer on cool?". Naaaah.

I grab a NEW, CLEAN microfiber cloth and do a bit of light buffing, staying with the grain of the brush strokes and...

WHOA! Dude, it looked darn good before, but now...it's PERFECT!

Oh, it's still there...no doubt about that...it's there all right, and just peachy, but...it's PERFECT! FACTORY!

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I said "LIGHTLY!". Zero elbow grease. Lovingly. Like caressing your...errrr...well, whatever your favorite thing is to caress...that bowling trophy on your mantle, for example.

Whatever.

VG, ya gotta give this a look-see...check it out. Seriously.

Ride safe,

CR
    Nice to hear! I've gotten hit with some rain myself that has sneaked up on me. If the coating has dried enough, the little droplets should tend to disappear and certainly using a hairdryer I found could make that go faster. But I am pleased to hear that you got it!

I trust I'll see you when we are out at Roy's event this April.

Now, in the meantime, looking forward to hearing about your first Veil save!

VG
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Thanks VG, I look forward to tha...uhhhh...wait a minute...NO I DON'T! I do NOT look forward to being in harms way of a Lidar, EVER!

But I know what you mean, and of course it's inevitable, so yeah...at least I gotz a fightin' chance now.

But back to my post...I'm not kidding...I suggest you try that, install some Veil, let it set up, give it a small spritz of water, gently buff with a microfiber cloth...you may just end up adding that to the instructions.

Plastic was invented by accident, y'know. Blindly and ignorantly stumbling around to fix one's screw up just might result in a "Eureka!" moment.

It comes out niiiice...try it.

Ride safe,

CR

Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by CeeAre View Post
    Thanks VG, I look forward to tha...uhhhh...wait a minute...NO I DON'T! I do NOT look forward to being in harms way of a Lidar, EVER!

But I know what you mean, and of course it's inevitable, so yeah...at least I gotz a fightin' chance now.

But back to my post...I'm not kidding...I suggest you try that, install some Veil, let it set up, give it a small spritz of water, gently buff with a microfiber cloth...you may just end up adding that to the instructions.

Plastic was invented by accident, y'know. Blindly and ignorantly stumbling around to fix one's screw up just might result in a "Eureka!" moment.

It comes out niiiice...try it.

Ride safe,

CR
    Would you kindly post some PICs?

Thanks!

VG
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Well, first, I ain't figured out how to navigate this sucker yet to know how...Lord knows I've looked, and finally got a pic in my profile, but...

Not sure how much good it would do though. I took some before's and after's, then more after's after doing what I did after, but it's just such a subtle nuance that it doesn't really show up from the Galaxy S5 camera. I could try my wife's iphone, it's camera is far superior, but still...it's subtle.

It's like this: After it had set, if you inspected it at one foot away you could see some vague horizontal lines, a very minor "ripple" effect. AT 18" away, that disappeared, at least to my aged eyes. At normal standing-directly-in-front-of-your-car range, it was virtually invisible, even the slight color change being virtually imperceptible. This being on a black, no chrome but the iconic pony and grill trim ring (all of which I coated), car.

After the light buffing I can see ONE...ONE...minor sag at an upper corner that I missed (my bad during installation), but at one foot...it's as smooth as the top o' my head.

And that's darn smooth.

You can tell it's still there, it hasn't been compromised, but it's just smoother.

If I can figure out how to post pictures (I've tried copy/paste, that works on the Delphi forums, but...) I'll at least get some "after/after" shots with the iphone.

Or I could email them to you in an attachment...? I know how to do that. And how to shut down (HINT: IT'S A TRICK! YOU HAVE TO GO TO "START"! NO, SERIOUSLY!), but that's about it...

I dunno...maybe the Veil just finished curing more in that interim and got that way actually in spite of the buffing. It wasn't exactly a double-blind scientific experiment...there was a certain amount of panic involved, thinking that I had just screwed up the application and would have to get the apple cider vinegar out and start over.

Oh, by the way, a side note: I prepped the areas with isopropyl, wiped it off, let it set a bit, then HEAVILY buffed the areas with a clean paper towel. Put the elbow grease to that last step, and the Veil took to it like...well...like it's supposed to. Which it did.

Also, with reference to an earlier thread on the product about air brushing it on, first I don't think it's necessary...the foam brush application is no-brain stuff, works fine, why change it...and second, this G5 is pretty thick stuff. Not sure how it would work with a less-than-professional-grade air brush.

Plus...Hoooooo-WEEEE! It do STANK! Not sure I want to be vaporizin' that stuff 'n' stampeding the horses in the street.

It don't taste all that good neither...

Ride safe,

CR