Radar Fanatic

Default X-band used by a MA statie!!

I had quite a ride into Boston yesterday! Didn't encounter anything in connecticut, but as soon as I got to the toll plaza from I-84 to the Pike I started to encounter an X-band alert. I figured "no big deal, just a sign." WRONG! As it ramped up I got suspicious because there were no signs in site. The only thing there was a marked MA state trooper talking to a trucker at the pull-off after the toll booths. As the signal went to full and I passed him the arrows went from front, to side, to behind just after I went by. I looked around for other sources of a false and there was nothing there. I got no X-band alert when I went through the same plaza later last night. X-band is staying turned on for good!

It must have been a high enforcement day yesterday because I saw a cop every couple of miles for my entire ride down the pike. I saw a pair of bike cops travelling together, which I have never seen in MA before. I also picked up 2 laser hits coming from a black unmarked CV. As I passed it looked like he was focussing on the right lane of traffic, so I don't even know if those hits (both short in duration) were directed at me. I was only doing about 70 in a 65 because I saw him before I got an alert.

Good Citizen

Yeah I dont know why people turn X band off... even if I was 100% sure there was no X band being used I'd think I'd still at least leave it on X-band LO not X-Off.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by kai445
    Yeah I dont know why people turn X band off... even if I was 100% sure there was no X band being used I'd think I'd still at least leave it on X-band LO not X-Off.
    that's what I use (X50 allows that for city-only, as you know). does just fine, and I know that X is still used here in MD, and not too far from where I live.

Newcomer

Default X in CT??

Wow,
    I assumed that X was only used in NJ. I trabvel frequently from MA, CT, NY, and get x almost all the way from New Haven to the NY border on 95. I use the pasport x-50, but assummed that all of these were just falses. anyone know if they use x in CT??? I know they use K, Ka and def laser on 95. got lasered the other day on 95 between old lyme and new london.

Professional

Default Re: X-band used by a MA statie!!

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    I got no X-band alert when I went through the same plaza later last night. X-band is staying turned on for good!

It must have been a high enforcement day yesterday because I saw a
    :shock:

Good spotting! and thanks for this timely report !!

Suf Daddy

Default Could be an older set up or DOT enforcemnt type of car.

The MAss State Police used to have Decatur MVR 724 and the other 71x model. One was X the other K I think. The X put out a signal to the moon. 4,000 feet plus easy.

They mount (used to) those antennas on the rear side window facing backwards. I always wondered what the wind chill factor did to those things........

Professional

There's no X in use in Arizona at all, according to Roy (who would know), so I have no qualms about turning it off. The second I hear otherwise (or get pulled over by a cop who admits that he caught me with X-band), I'll turn it back on.

I do know that some agencies (I believe in Ohio) are buying lightbar mounted guns that use X band, you think maybe MA's doing the same thing? Or just an ancient piece of junk that they figured they'd dump on the new kid, maybe?

Newcomer

Using X band could be a decent strategy? Everyone "knows" that state police don't use such antique equipment, and everyone "knows" that every X band alert is a garage door opener or something like that...it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you didn't draw the Lidar at the beginning of the shift? :shock:

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell
    Using X band could be a decent strategy? Everyone "knows" that state police don't use such antique equipment, and everyone "knows" that every X band alert is a garage door opener or something like that...it doesn't sound like a bad idea if you didn't draw the Lidar at the beginning of the shift? :shock:
    For as often as we bring this up as a really sneaky trick to use, you'd think someone would've tried it by now.

Truth is, it probably wouldn't be that effective. Lots of people who buy RDs buy the low-end Cobras that don't have an X-off feature, nor do they know that X-band hits can be ignored more often than not (with obvious exceptions). To them, an X-band hit means the same thing that a full-blast Ka shot does--slow down.

Suf Daddy

Any radar gun that is certified can be admissable in court.

As a shameless plug my old Speedgun on Ebay: # 7196463798 is an old X band instant on. I can clock ANYTHING with that gun. It'll last another decade.

I can keep it "warmed" up until I light you up and NO radar detector will give advanced enough warning if the operator can RESIST laying off the trigger for more than 3 minutes.......that's 3 miles at 60 MPH............

-Suf Daddy