Radar Fanatic

Default Hartford, CT laser trap

Saw a laser trap on 91 north this evening, probably a mile north of down-town Hartford. The cop was in an unmarked dark blue Vic in the breakdown lane, shooting through a slightly opened drivers-side door. It looked like he was almost sitting backward in his seat. I had never seen that technique before and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Anyway, it's a 55 zone and traffic routinely flows at 65-70 so it would be pretty easy to get nailed. My guess is that he was looking for someone at 70+ because he ignored my flock of cars moving at a little over 65. I don't know if I actually got hit because I was hauling furniture in a minivan and didn't have my V1. I'll consider myself lucky this time!

This is common practice in CT. I drive often from Providence, RI to NYC and in fact the only time I've ever been pulled over was thanks probably to the same guy you saw.

Worst part was he was on the downhill portion, I crest at ~83mph and bam...nailed. $280

After that I bought the X50 and it has saved me numerous times.

Radar Fanatic

After living in CT for year I've found the cops to be incredibly sneaky. Definitely the worst I've encountered in New England. They aren't nearly as active as in a place like Ohio, but it takes a lot of effort to keep track of them with their pacing and laser instead of radar.