Radar Fanatic

Default Need help for this road trip. (what do i need)

Ok as of now i am pledging a fraternity in college. This really means that i am a b!tch of the fraternity, so i go on missions errands or whatever for them. Anyway last week i had to go with a brother on a short road trip well i brought my RX65 and saved him from laser tick somehow we got some good scatter. We were very lucky anyway now i have been given the mission of making sure that when we take our weekend pledge trip we make good time and no one getts a ticket. As of now it looks like we are going to be going to Montreal. I was wonder would you guys would recommend. I have a CB radio and will be getting a lil wil. I am going to get an Al8 don't know if i'll have it in time and of course i have my RX65. I was just wondering if I’ll be going through any areas where RDs are illegal. I think they are in Canada so I’m sure that will be a problem. Also i was wondering what tactics i might encounter on the way. So the trip is New Haven CT to Montreal Canada.
    Any help is appreciated. Also there will be about 4 or 5 other cars how do you think i should communicate about speed traps (cell phone would take too much time)
    thanks

Yoda of Radar

Yep Montreal is illegal with RD's, take a guess how I know :wink:

I've done the trip to New Haven a couple times. I guess you are going to go on NY I-87 eh? Watch out big time around Albany and any 55 zones. The rest of the "Northway" and the Thruway are littered with cops everywhere. You may wish to detour onto the Taconic State Pkwy (PSL 55 and more than a few cops) to avoid toll charges. It's also pretty nice and scenic.

Watch out in NY for Troopers that fly at 90 and shoot radar up your butt as well if you find a rabbit.

If you have a CB use that to communicate. Or devise some kind of signal system (eg flash highbeams).

For driving in Canada, just stash the RD as you cross the border, once you get onto Quebec A-15 plug her back in and unplug if you get an alert. Make sure to put it somewhere where it isn't totally obvious to everyone within 10 miles that you have an RD of course.

The A-15 has a much lower cop density than the I-87.

Radar Fanatic

thanks so far this is good info. What about laser jammers say i were to get an Al8 installed in time for the trip. Are they illegal in Canada. Also i would most likely not use the RD where it is illegal i guess i just think it might get me busted. Do they use CB radios in canada too?
    thanks

Yoda of Radar

You shouldn't have an issue with the jammer. CB radios work fine, they might speak French though

Radar Fanatic

when you say not have an issue do you mean that they are illegal but because the AL8 doesn't produce jam codes i should be OK. Or are they legal. If they are illegal and i was going to use them anyways how do you recoment i do so. Should i set them to 4 sec jam?

Yoda of Radar

It's really quite a grey area. I don't really know. The law books say no, but apparently there was an amendment tabled to include them. I don't know if it has passed or not, since the latest book still says nothing about them. In any case don't JTG and nobody will suspect anything.