Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Only in Virginia..............

This happened today, made me laugh a little.

Cop was on the left side of the highway (4 lanes each direction) next to the jerseywall picking off cars with his Laser gun (looked like the Stalker unit). The unmarked car was parked facing same direction as traffic and he was standing next to his car with the driver door open pointing the lidar gun towards the oncoming traffic. The funny thing was I slowed down long before I ever saw him because the retard had his ka radar on. X50 picked up the Ka from way back. Now this is somthing you would never see in Maryland or any other state for that matter. I'm glad the cops here assume no one has a radar detector just because they are illegal. And it's probably true that it is rare for a car to have a radar detector in Virginia, but what LEO would leave the Ka on if you are using laser?

Lead Foot

Jamal, what was the location for this? I-66/95/295/395/495?

Might be one of my stomping grounds.

Newcomer

Default Re: Only in Virginia..............

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    Cop was on the left side of the highway (4 lanes each direction) <clip> but what LEO would leave the Ka on if you are using laser?
    With laser you can select which car to measure. With Ka radar it's harder to see which car is speeding, if there is 4 lanes with cars. Prehaps they waited until Ka radar alerts speeding, and after that they checked with laser which car it was?

Power User

This was on 267, Dulles Toll Road. Speed limit is 55 with no lights, just exit ramps. 4 lanes wide as hell mostly straight road and speed limit is 55. Also everyone on the road was speeding. Most vehicles travel at 70. The cops usually just try to pick off the fastest car they can find with laser. The MWAA police, VA State police, and Fairfax county police can all write tickets on that road. I've only seen Fairfax use laser and pacing(at night). I've seen the VA state police and MWAA use mostly radar, but sometimes laser.

Lead Foot

Thanks Jamal, I know the area. Been down there and have seen the same. I've also noticed they do the same tactic on RTE 50/7100/and 29. Before the snowfall I saw a squad of motorcycle FCPD rolling out to set up traps. Be on the lookout for them when the weather breaks. Bikercops are harder to spot.

Power User

Cool. I forgot to mention that the only Fairfax county cops I've seen with radar are the bike cops. Fairfax seems to have Ka radar outfitted on most of the bikes which they tend to leave in constant on.

Lead Foot

You're absolutely right. That's been my experience too. Are you familiar with 7100, Fairfax Co. Pkwy heading to Springfield? Between Huntsman BLVD and and Five Forks, they set up on the NB side of 7100 (coming back into Fairfax) with laser and track cars as they come down this hill, then step in the path of traffic and flag their target to pull in and get their reservation to the next Policeman's Ball, or to make a donation for it.

Newcomer

Dulles Toll Road, hehe, I used to find it hard not to do 100+ on that road when I worked in Reston...

One time I was headed into work, doing just over 100 mph, and I look over into the center lanes (they are toll-free lanes if you are heading to Dulles Airport) and there is a cop keeping pace with me.

He and his partner look over at me and smile and wave. There was a concrete wall separating us, thank god my exit was the next one. I smiled and waved back, then sped up a little.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    Cool. I forgot to mention that the only Fairfax county cops I've seen with radar are the bike cops. Fairfax seems to have Ka radar outfitted on most of the bikes which they tend to leave in constant on.
    Last week in Fairfax on 123 (coming from Vienna) just crossing over I-66 my V1 alerted me to the bogey on the north side of the road - hiding around the curve. The Fairfax County LEO (in a Carprice) was shooting straight K band. That was a first for me. I've only seen K band used in Haymarket (past Gainesville). :shock:

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSEAL
    Dulles Toll Road, hehe, I used to find it hard not to do 100+ on that road when I worked in Reston...

One time I was headed into work, doing just over 100 mph, and I look over into the center lanes (they are toll-free lanes if you are heading to Dulles Airport) and there is a cop keeping pace with me.

He and his partner look over at me and smile and wave. There was a concrete wall separating us, thank god my exit was the next one. I smiled and waved back, then sped up a little.
    SWEET!