Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default NJSP radar encounter

Yesterday I was traveling southbound on I-287. At the 50 mm I got a brief Ka hit on the V1. At mm 49.5 I got an instant on Ka hit which stayed on until I got to the cruiser at mm 49.2. It was an NJSP marked cruiser running Ka band. I quickly shut off the V1 and turned on the X50. Spec mode showed 33.817. Perhaps the testing is already concluded and they are going with MPH units? I noticed that the antennas are black. The rear antenna is on the back deck in the left corner. (behind driver) Midd, what do you know??? Thx, Scott

Radar Fanatic

I should add that the cruiser was up in the grass on the side of the interstate. Partially obscured by bushes.

Professional

Good information. Thanks.

Professional

If it had a black lens as well, then it was probably a BEE 3 or Enforcer. However the new Python 3 also uses a black or very dark gray antenna with a opaque lens, instead of the medium gray with chrome trim ring. Unless you're right on top of it, at a distance its possible to confuse these new Ka antennas with an antenna from a Kustom Eagle.

Radar Fanatic

It definitely was not an eagle. I know that the spec mode is not spot on accurate but it is not that far off. It read 33.817. The locals in my area, use Kustom units and all their antennas are white.
    The antenna in the back of the NJSP crusier, was all black and not opaque.

Professional

I just provided that information for visual spotting purposes. Sounds like NJSP bought themselves some BEE-3 units.

Yes, I can tell you for sure they bought at least 1 MPH BEE III...

Experienced

Default Re: NJSP radar encounter

Quote Originally Posted by KaPro
    At the 50 mm I got a brief Ka hit on the V1. At mm 49.5 I got an instant on Ka hit which stayed on until I got to the cruiser at mm 49.2. It was an NJSP marked cruiser running Ka band. I quickly shut off the V1 and turned on the X50. Spec mode showed 33.817. Perhaps the testing is already concluded and they are going with MPH units?
    I know you can't say for sure, this is just speculation, I don't want anyone hopping on a jump to conclusions mat, bear with me here, might you venture a guess that that brief Ka hit was POP? It might seem plausible that, since they are making the switch over to the MPH BEE III (which has pop), they shot the quick burst of POP then switched to io and kept it on for the tracking history. Any other alerts after that initial hit but prior to the io Ka that stayed on until you got to the cruiser?

Experienced

that is big time news...thanks for sharing...I haven't been down to NJ in a few months so thats why I haven't posted anything up about new 287 encounters but If something changes I'll let you know.

-YeM

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by KaPro
    It definitely was not an eagle. I know that the spec mode is not spot on accurate but it is not that far off. It read 33.817. The locals in my area, use Kustom units and all their antennas are white.
    The antenna in the back of the NJSP crusier, was all black and not opaque.
    i can tell you that the X50's spec mode is awesome and accurate..

For my county sheriffs, it comes right up saying 33.800 Ka... but that just depends on gun calibration.