Newcomer

Default Virginia & My V1?

So I recently hardwired a V1 into my WRX. In a couple of weeks, I'm making a road trip to Virginia, and I know radar detectors are illegal, but I'm semi-confused about it. I thought that as long as I turned off my V1 I would be fine but my buddy who recently moved there for work says otherwise. He suggested pulling off the freeway and putting my V1 in my luggage because if they see any trace of a radar detector, they can confiscate it (that doesn't seem right - and I definitely don't want to get that taken away) and you get a $150 fine. I was just hoping someone from VA or who is familiar with the law can make a suggestion for what I should do when entering VA. Thanks!

Experienced

Best of my knowledge, they don't confiscate the RD. They usually write down the serial number and the fine is about $100.00.

Newcomer

Thanks, can anyone confirm this? Also, is it illegal to operate a radar detector in VA or is it illegal to possess one (ie. will I get in trouble if it's mounted on my windsheild and turned off)?

Old Timer

Default reply

Lubes. welcome to the forum. As far as confiscating your unit in VA, the answer is no. This makes for way too much paperwork for the LEO to do. LEOS don't like to fool w/ extra paperwork. The cost if caught for using/running an rd in VA is I think $95. Can someone else enlighten me on this? Stealthjamal or Asleeper maybe?

Professional

Its a $96 fine with court costs. LEO's can confiscate it as evidence, to be returned after court.............have never heard of one being taken though.

You can have one in your car as long as it is not connected to a power source or accessible to the driver.

Basically, if its in your trunk your fine.

Newcomer

Thanks! I didn't know if turning it off was simply enough...

Old Timer

Default personally

Personally, I would leave it on while driving in VA. Just mount it very discreetly.