Default New York Thruway rest stop laser trap?

I was on the New York State Thruway at a rest stop to check my email. When I was done, I got in my car and accelerated in preparation to merge back on the Thruway where the speed limit is 65 MPH. By the time I reach the gas pumps, I am doing about 55 MPH, and I get a laser alert, so I took off and grabbed the next exit.

First of all, I am not sure if I even did anything wrong. I think thre may have been a speed limit sign when you enter the rest stop for 15 or 30 MPH, but I'd assume they don't expect you to merge back on to the Thruway at that speed. I also did not see any cruisers. Do they have some kind of automated laser traps in place at these rest stops?

Secondly, laser alerts are pretty useless, so rather than spend all sorts of money on covers and VEIL and what not I was thinking about just removing my front plate altogether. I've seen lots of cars in this state with no front plates. Are there any NY laws against this?

Radar Fanatic
    Wouldn't u like to know

You must have a front plate in NY. I would look into gettting a laser jammer. I use one in NY all the time and they are legal (that doesn't mean you should abuse them though).

The Netherworld of the Force

Glass -

Welcome to the board. Which rest stop were you at???