Default Central Florida - Passport 8500i vs Valentine 1?

I need to get a RD soon. I am pretty set on the V1, but the only thing is that I hear that the V1 is alot noisier than the passport. The WHat attracts me to the V1 is the arrows, and the awesome Highway radar and laser detection. I have heard that in FL, you can turn off Xband and be safe, so I dont know how that would affect the noisyness.

Please give me your oppinions, so that I can pick the best detector for me.
    THanks.

Newcomer

my friend has a v1 i have passport....mine is a LOT quiter than his. And yes, the x band is off in my passport. Actually love em so much that ALL cars in my household are x50 equipped...feel very naked w/out one. Tru the arrows are nice, but I prefer the quiet and when it goes off I know its real

Speed Demon

Default Re: Central Florida - Passport 8500i vs Valentine 1?

Quote Originally Posted by purplenurple
    I need to get a RD soon. I am pretty set on the V1, but the only thing is that I hear that the V1 is alot noisier than the passport. The WHat attracts me to the V1 is the arrows, and the awesome Highway radar and laser detection. I have heard that in FL, you can turn off Xband and be safe, so I dont know how that would affect the noisyness.

Please give me your oppinions, so that I can pick the best detector for me.
    THanks.
    Well...V1,8500X50,RX-65,Sti...these are all high end RDs,
    so if you choose one of them,you can't go wrong!

Its such a hard choice. I want to order the RD today, but I can't decide between the V1's great laser detection, and the passport's price and quietness.

Newcomer

well....if it helps....the way i lool at it is usualy by the time i'd detect lasar its already too late, so i didnt consider lasar detection when i was buying..

Old Timer

I've never used a V1 personally, but I have seen plenty of videos . To tell you the truth, the X50 will still go off with K motion detectors, which there is plenty around here here in Orlando. Most of the time it's a pretty quiet ride, though

The thing I like about my X50, especially here in Florida, is the Spec display. Yes, I know alot of people think of it as a toy or useless feature, but I do have to say that it is very helpful here. Since alot of the places primarily use Ka (how heavy depends on your area. Here in Orlando the the majority of radar is Ka) and since there is also a lot of cheap radar detectors, I find the X50 helpful in distinguishing real threats between false ones, when I do get a false.

Its detection for 34.7 is very good. I don't come across 35.5 that often, but when I have encountered it, it was pretty good distance. I have yet to encounter 33.8 Ka.

As for laser, well.... in the end, does it really matter? Most of the time (yes, I know people have been saved by scatter) by the time you react, they usually have you.

On the other hand, the V1 has a great upgradability program. They also have the arrows and bogey counter, and the "pimp" factor since not too many people have them

I'd say, if you are going to travel the open highway alot, get the V1. If city, then the X50.

Then again, what you could do is get an X50, and save the rest of the money towards a jammer, especially since Florida loves laser :twisted:

Don't know what part of Central Florida you're from, but we have people here from Tampa, Orlando, and Daytona Beach if you need specific help Visit the Florida thread in this sub-forum to see "what's up"

Professional

I can't speak for Florida, but I can speak for having both an X50 and a V1.

I'd take the V1 over the X50 any day of the week. While it may alert to more pharmacies than the X50, the arrows make it worth the price of admission alone.

Get the V1, you will not be disappointed.

My X50 has been moved full time to my motorcycle. The cars get the V1.

I am about 30 minutes northeast of Orlando. I just got a red diplay X50 at best buy, just to see if I like it. Keep the opinions coming, tho, I may return it an get a V1, maybe not...

Old Timer

Well, you're halfway there. Try out the X50 for a couple days. Then (if the don't charge a restocking fee) get the V1. Try that out for a couple days. Only then will you truely know what you want.

Professional

I run my V1 with X band off sometimes, and on sometimes. :?

I change the programming of that option when I take my V1 on an out of state trip, and sometimes don't disable X band when I get back.

Most of the door openers I see are now K band. Most of the cops I see are on Ka.

Given the use of laser in FL and the fact that the V1 picks it up better than others, I would recommend it. I've not used an X50 so my advice is based only on test results and posts concerning the X50.

I also like the fact that Valentine has an upgrade program.