Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Radar use by NJ State Police

There have been many disputes about what bands of radar that the NJ State Police use. Well I went straight to the horse's mouth and emailed them about a month ago. I found this response in my mailbox today:
    ---------

I am Sgt. Stephen Ritter of the Research and Anaylsis Unit of the New
    Jersey State Police (NJSP). I am in receipt of your e-mail that you
    sent to the State of New Jersey in reference to radar units.

Currently there are three unit being used by the NJSP to measure the
    speeds of motor vehicles. The MPH K-55 is the main unit used and is in
    every marked unit that is assigned to a road station. The LTI Marksman
    20/20 is another unit used which as you know laser technology. The
    third unit used is also a laser unit and is the LTI Ultra Light.

We are looking into other radar units at the time. They are MPH Bee III
    and Stalker units which are both directional radar using K band and are
    digital. After testing both of these units I can see that they are well
    suited for the type of work we do. The process of changing over is a
    monumental task and should take about a year or two.

Thanks for your e-mail and if I can be of any other assistance you can
    contact me. You have my e-mail from this communication and all my other
    info is listed below.

Sgt. Stephen L. Ritter #5509
    Research & Analysis
    609-882-2000 Ext. 2237

Radar Fanatic

BEE III = POP. The plot thickens...

Yoda of Radar

Hmm it does.

What exactly did you say to the police anyway? I sent a quick email to the SQ just now...

Default Re: Radar use by NJ State Police

Quote Originally Posted by midd
    The LTI Marksman 20/20 is another unit used which as you know laser technology. The third unit used is also a laser unit and is the LTI Ultra Light.
    This is fantastic information; thank you for your effort and for sharing.

Would someone care to characterise these laser guns? i.e. "newest generation; all you NJ drivers are going to fry under its beam" or "old technology; RMR stuff could probably jam it." ... or somewhere in between. :wink: TIA.

Banned

Default Re: Radar use by NJ State Police

Quote Originally Posted by EastGermanOlympicJudge
    The LTI Marksman 20/20 is another unit used which as you know laser technology. The third unit used is also a laser unit and is the LTI Ultra Light.
    This is fantastic information; thank you for your effort and for sharing.

Would someone care to characterise these laser guns? i.e. "newest generation; all you NJ drivers are going to fry under its beam" or "old technology; RMR stuff could probably jam it." ... or somewhere in between. :wink: TIA.
    I would love to explain the differences for you.

The LTI 20/20 is a first generation lidar gun. It can't be used in snow, sleet, or rain. It doesn't have a HUD display and it's pretty heavy. The unit uses glass lenses for longer range. After the 20/20 came out LTI upgraded the gun to the Marksman model. I'm not sure if this gun has a HUD or not(heads up display- shows the speed in the scope.)

The LTI Ultralyte(LRB, LT100, 100LR, 200LR) are third generation lidar guns. LTI came out with the LT100 after the Marksman and found out that the plastic lens inside the third generation gun was hindering the longer distance reading. LTI took out the plastic lenses, replaced them with glass ones, and the range was bumped up to 3280 feet. The gun was renamed the 100LR after the lenses were replaced. The LT100 range is 2000'. Police officers loved the range, but didn't like how complicated the LT100 and LR version were. Laser technology then came out with the LRB to answer the requests of the officers. The LRB is exactly the same as the 100LR in performance. The only difference is the LRB is much easier to use. It has one touch weather mode and the user menu is simplified. The 200LR has accident mapping software. Everything else about the unit is the same. The Ultralyte compact has the same software and range as an LR, but it doesn't have a HUD display and gun handle to safe on cost.

If you have any questions let me know.

Chris

Marksman lidar gun. It looks like it has a HUD display.

LTI Ultralyte. God I love this gun!

Banned

Want a laser gun with some kick-a$$ range? The laser atlanta has a range of up to 4,000 feet!

Awesome information. Thank you very much! Looks like us NJ drivers have our work cut out for us.

Speed Demon

When I emailed the state police, I told them I was a radar enthusiast. I told them I knew about the MPH K-55 series and the LTI Marksman 20/20. I asked what other types of speed measuring units did they use.

I plan on replying to ask about the use of POP mode. Before I do so, doesn't MPH recommend that it not be used as a sole source for measuring speed?

Banned

When I emailed the state police, I told them I was a radar enthusiast. I told them I knew about the MPH K-55 series and the LTI Marksman 20/20. I asked what other types of speed measuring units did they use.

I plan on replying to ask about the use of POP mode. Before I do so, doesn't MPH recommend that it not be used as a sole source for measuring speed?
    You are correct. This is stated on MPH's website.

Keep in mind that other city and county departments may be using other radar guns. In Washington State I've seen several different laser gun brands used by different departments and counties.

Speed Demon

I am well aware that local LEO's in my state use different types of radar. As my topic states, I am specifically mentioning the NJ State Police.