Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TomTom Techs say using GPS to locate Photo Radar is illegal

I just got a TomTom one from CC with the intention of plotting the locations of Traffic Safety Cameras. According to Tom Tom this feature is disabled for US users because they say it is illegal here. So now I'm sol because of the stupid %15 CC restocking fee. Any suggestions? It doesn't say anything about this on the box.

Is it illegal in Arizona to use a GPS device to plot the locations of Speed Camera's?
    - I find this hard to swallow because my Mio does allow this.

Yoda of Radar

I think Switzerland is the only place where it's illegal. A law like that surely couldn't hold up in court here in the US.

Professional

this is only true in Switzerland and Germany.

Complete nonsense in the USA and every other country in the world.

Default Re: TomTom Techs say using GPS to locate Photo Radar is ille

Quote Originally Posted by avmaldo
    According to Tom Tom this feature is disabled for US users because they say it is illegal here..
    Wow... idiots.

I need to upgrade my GPS sometime to one that will alert for red light / speed cameras. Either that or buy NavAlert. Anybody have any good GPS units they use for this?

Professional

The Speedcheetah GPS mirror does all that and more.

Good Citizen

Most Garmin units do but you have to go to a third party site to load the locations.

Old Timer

Default yes

I know they are illegal in Switzerland (in which I have no idea how they could enforce such bogus legislation) but I didn't know about Germany. As far as the U.S is concerned, they are legal here so demand they fix it for you because they are legal to operate here in the states. Be straight forward w/ them and don't pay any 15% restocking fees since it's not your fault. I have the Navalert and am very satisfied w/ it. I have to go to their website to download new locations every week/two weeks, but every little bit helps. Good luck.

Newcomer

I have a Mio DigiWalker C520 and it has a rather nice camera feature, includes 4 camera types and includes some preloaded already in the maps. I live in Florida. I would consider taking it back. They will usually waive the restocking fee if you exchange it for something similar (another GPS).

Cheetah Rep

I just got a TomTom one from CC with the intention of plotting the locations of Traffic Safety Cameras. According to Tom Tom this feature is disabled for US users because they say it is illegal here. So now I'm sol because of the stupid %15 CC restocking fee. Any suggestions? It doesn't say anything about this on the box.

Is it illegal in Arizona to use a GPS device to plot the locations of Speed Camera's?
    - I find this hard to swallow because my Mio does allow this.
    it's perfectly LEGAL to use a GPS device for the cameras here in AZ.

on a side note, don't bother with something like a superprotector here, they don't work against the redlfex cameras, since they also do video.
    you will get nailed, especially on the 101 loop with it and around Scottsdale.

Radar Fanatic

I just got a TomTom one from CC with the intention of plotting the locations of Traffic Safety Cameras. According to Tom Tom this feature is disabled for US users because they say it is illegal here.
    What you need to do is find a POI file and upload it to your Tom Tom.

Go to this site for more information...... Great site with friendly people.
    It's just like this site but for GPS.

http://www.poi-factory.com/

What is a POI file?

POI files contain coordinates and descriptions for a set of locations (which are commonly referred to as "POI" or "Points of Interest"). Many newer GPS models are able to use this data to show what's nearby or even give an alert as you get close to a location (such as a red light enforcement camera).