Speed Demon

Default X band in Alberta?

Can anyone confirm X band can be turned off in Alberta and/or BC?

Thanks,

Brent

Advanced Member

I'm not a resident but I've never encountered x band in either. However, there's always a chance that an old x unit may be used by a smaller police force

Experienced

In Calgary, I have never seen X Band used, I drive without it and have for quite some time. It's a much quieter ride. City cops are primarily laser, very little (if any) radar, other than the multanovas. It's crossed my mind to turn off K band as well in the city, but I haven't quite gone that far yet.

RCMP on the highway use K and Ka band, never seen X here.

Speed Demon

Default X band in Alberta?

Thanks for your replies, guys.

I turned off X yesterday, out of the sheer frustration with all the racket, and it's as you say -- a quieter ride. Just feeling a little nervous that way.

I've also considered turning of K, but in a recent drive back from Vancouver, I encountered a definite K band radar in a mountie coming at me from around the bend on that stretch of #1 approaching Sicamous.

Darn those pesky Ka band photo vans, though, hey? My bel has saved me about 20 times! Wish I could say the same for my girlfriend. Despite her Christmas Bel (Rx 65, just like mine), she got another photo ticket in the mail last week.

Newcomer

Default Re: X band in Alberta?

When i lived in Calgary Last year, soon has i seen any Van on the side of the highway i always slowed down, for some reason they seem kinda odd for a new Caravan just sitting there for no damn reason sure enough it was a radar van, they seem to like hwy 1 near the start of stoney trail. Have to watch for those suckers when you dont have a RD. Sorry to hear about your gf getting a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc What, son?
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

I turned off X yesterday, out of the sheer frustration with all the racket, and it's as you say -- a quieter ride. Just feeling a little nervous that way.

I've also considered turning of K, but in a recent drive back from Vancouver, I encountered a definite K band radar in a mountie coming at me from around the bend on that stretch of #1 approaching Sicamous.

Darn those pesky Ka band photo vans, though, hey? My bel has saved me about 20 times! Wish I could say the same for my girlfriend. Despite her Christmas Bel (Rx 65, just like mine), she got another photo ticket in the mail last week.

Experienced

Yup, definately need to keep K for the highways, but in the city I've never seen it. I haven't turned it off myself yet, but it's crossed my mind.

The photo vans, as Webbie says, you can generally spot them a km away if you keep an eye out for them. They are hard to detect (especially in light traffic) so your eyeballs are the best defense there. They also conveniently post the locations they are enforcing with them on the calgary police website, keep an eye on that so you know where to be a little extra vigilant.

What's funny is they take requests for locations to set up the photo radar, I've thought about constatntly requesting they put it out in the middle of nowehre far away from anywhere I drive, but haven't actually done that yet. hehe

"
    In response to community needs identified through statistical
    analysis and citizen concerns, photo radar will be deployed
    in the communities of Thorncliffe, Bonnybrook and Ramsay
    between August 1 and August 31, 2007.

Photo radar will also be targeting high speed, high volume
    roadways and constructions zones within the City of Calgary.
    Concentrated enforcement will continue to address
    construction and speed zones along Glenmore Trail and
    Memorial Drive.

Photo radar will be actively deployed in school and
    playground zones, as well as areas known to be frequented by
    street racers within the city of Calgary.

The Red Light Camera Program consists of 44 intersections
    monitored by 36 cameras throughout Calgary. This month the
    red light cameras will be focusing on offences at all
    downtown intersection, utilizing all red light cameras
    between 25 Avenue and the Bow River, and 11 Street S.W. to
    Macleod Trail S.E.
    "

Speed Demon

Default Citizen requests

They love their construction zones. And it makes sense to enforce reduced speeds. It's an entirely different matter when construction signs are left out, long after any construction is actually complete, and the LEOs opportunistically take advantage of the double fine.

Citizen requests, hey. Rather than the middle of nowhere, why not suggest the neighborhood where your boss/ex-wife/some jerk you don't like lives in.
    :-D

Newcomer

Default Re: X band in Alberta?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc What, son? View Post
    Can anyone confirm X band can be turned off in Alberta and/or BC?

Thanks,

Brent
    Well I'm a Newbie to this site and live in Calgary, Alberta but I always believe in just going to the source to get an answer. LOL

From these responses, and what part of Alberta you are travelling in, would dictate if you decide to use X Band or not.
    In my overall opinion I would say "no" to using X Band unless you are in a "very" remote area where they might have an X Band detector still on the books.
    In Cities, X Band "On", just becomes annoying and from the responses below having it "On" is a waste of time.
    But here are the official responses in my "Calgary" area but this could be different for Edmonton, Lethbridge and other independent City Police forces.

I asked the following enforcement agencies whether they use X Band "in any way" in their traffic enforcement and here are their responses.
    Some are nice and polite; others shorter and to the point!!!

Quoted responses are as follows:

Calgary City Police:

"No"

RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police):

While "X" band technology is older, there may be one or two of these sets around however it is not likely.

New Alberta Sheriff Highway Patrol Department:

We do not now and have never used “X” band radar in our enforcement activities. The moving mode radar currently in use is “KA” band. Any stationary enforcement is conducted using Laser Speed detection Equipment.

I hope this information helps people driving in Alberta on deciding whether they enjoy the silence of X Band being off or don't want to gamble and leave it "On" in remote areas.

Take Care!