Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default California aircraft VASCAR

Does anyone know for sure if aircraft enforcement is still used in California, particularly on I-10? According to the wording of California's no-speedtrap law, air would seem to be banned, but you never know. And I know of people who have gotten VASCAR tickets in California in the past.

Good Citizen

As of 5 years ago I was very familiar with the CA speed laws and I can't think of anything that would make VASCAR or planes illegal. To what law are you referring?

Good Citizen

Default you're right

Thanks V1 Dave for the reminder--I mostly concentrated on Radar and the speed survey requirements.

The critical part is here:
    http://leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displa...le=40800-40808
    and it would seem to say that VASCAR and conventional airplane approaches would be a speedtrap.

I think it could also be used to argue that these new video camera-based speed guns would be illegal.
    40802. (a) A "speed trap" is either of the following:
    (1) A particular section of a highway measured as to distance and
    with boundaries marked, designated, or otherwise determined in order
    that the speed of a vehicle may be calculated by securing the time it
    takes the vehicle to travel the known distance.
    Since these devices "otherwise determine" a distance to measure speed, although I suppose one could argue that it's not a "particular section" of highway since it's wherever the LEO points it.

The speedtrap law does not apply where the speed limit is over 55 mph.

Good Citizen

Default are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by lwpat
    First of all, I think the critical speed is 65, not 55.

Now again, I may be out of date here, but I am not sure the statute is clear on this. I think case law goes the other way. See People v. Studley 52 Cal.Rptr.2d 461 (Cal.Super. 1996)/44 Cal.App.4th Supp. 5

See also People v. Miller 153 Cal.Rptr. 192 (1979)/90 Cal.App.3d Supp. 35

and People v. DiFiore 243 Cal.Rptr. 359 (Cal.Super. 1987)/197 Cal.App.3d Supp. 28

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by lwpat
    Hmm ... this would screw me then because I'm in Phoenix and drive to LA a few times a year, including next week, so I'm particularly interested in enforcement on I-10 where the speed limit in Cali is 70. I've driven it four times with the cruise control set on 120 mph and have been lucky as hell as I've only recently invested in a RD and Veil so I was totally unprotected those four times and never even saw a cop let alone got pulled over. But I figure my luck can only run so far and I'd better get protected and get informed before I depart on another triple-digits road trip next week.

Having said that, I'm 32 and have been a speed demon all my life with no tickets to show for it. That's because I'm alert as hell and am constantly watching far ahead of me as well as in the mirrors for cops. I have no intent to change that even with the RD and Veil now on my side.

Newcomer

Default vascar

TheGame,

This is one area that a beartracker scanner or a regular scanner can help. The beartracker comes preprogrammed by state for interesting channels to monitor. Alternately, you can monitor 154.905mhz with a standard scanner. This is the extender output frequency for the CHP. If you hear any traffic on that frequency you are somewhat near a patrol unit. This has proven to be an effective way of minimizing the chance of getting hit with vascar in CA.

If you have questions, let me know. I used to do the LA->PHX run all the time. Cruise generally around 90-100mph where reasonable. The only time we ever got stopped was when my friend was driving (not paying attention).

-Badger

Professional

In the Bay area, you'd hear activity on CHP Ivory (45.02 MHz I think) anytime there were air to ground speed operations. It'd be quiet for a few days, and then one morning or afternoon you'd hear an hour or two of enforcement related comms.

A scanner and/or convertible with the top down can help. 8)

Ed

Good Citizen

Got back ... they were definitely out there ... since I had my girlfriend with me her job was to watch for aircraft in known patrol areas and sure enough we spotted a chopper flying very slowly along I-10 clocking cars. The nice part is that it's all desert and we actually noticed the big shadow on the ground before even seeing the aircraft up ahead so they're not hard to spot.