Scratonicity Groupie

Default Ohio Testing... Travel HELP!

Guys, I'll be leaving DE this weekend to head out to Ohio for the big testing!!!

Almost well 300Miles of my trip is through PA. Please tell me PA does not use VASCAR, but if they do can you help me identify what a trap looks like and what you can do to throw it off?

also does PA use laser? or are they known for Ka instant on?

once I hit OH I know all hell can break loose

thanks for the help!!!!

--staton

Power User

From what I've heard about PA is that only the state cops can use radar and it is mostly K band. Also they have to be stationary I think. So expect to see instant on K. Bad news is, since the local cops can't use radar ALL they use is VASCAR. I'm not sure about PA, but here in VA the local cops can write tickets on the interstate too.

Lead Foot

On the interstates watch out for instant on K band especially over hills. The troopers like to park in little service areas off the shoulder and hit you just as you crest a hill. Expect construction zones to be heavily enforced too. The locals will use orange cones, road signs, and even milk jugs to time you and calculate your speed by VASCAR. There are also a bunch of annoying K band radar drones on road construction signs. My RX65 was picking up K band from a mile away causing me to have to slow down out of caution. The strange thing is that people without detectors would blindly speed into really strong radar even after I hit my brakes. :shock:

Advanced Member

PA is 100% VASCAR!!!!! pretty much.. State troopers are the only ones with radar that can use it and they have to be stationary and they use instant-on K band. yet they hardly use it being experts in vascar they first estimate speed and then when they think you are over you get K-band...from my experience they hardly ever shot traffic unless there is an obvious speeder Also in PA are road work signes with constant on K-band and act as radar drones....your best bet might be to bring your scanner if you got one and plug in the state police channels which can be found here
    http://fordyce.org/scanboard/viewtopic.php?t=403 I would be carefule in PA if i were you cause your car fits the description of a speeder.

Don't rely on your V1 alerting to any instant on K traps i have past at least 20 PA state troopers in my travels through PA to school and none of them were running radar they were parked looking at traffic waiting for the obvious speeder

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Scratonicity Groupie

awesome!! thank you guys!! yeah i've been learning how to use this pro 96 for like 8 hours now and man there is alot to take in. i apprecaite all the help!!

--staton

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by thestaton
    awesome!! thank you guys!! yeah i've been learning how to use this pro 96 for like 8 hours now and man there is alot to take in. i apprecaite all the help!!

--staton
    from what i heard thats a hard scanner to program

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Scratonicity Groupie

yeah its a bit much for me. I think after the trip I will trade it in for a little something more user friendly and has a alert feature for highway driving.

its very cool I just think it would be better served in someone's hands who knew what they where doing and could get all the cool features that are hidden to me out of it

--staton

Professional

Get the program called Win96. It will save you from having to learn all of the function and buttons, and entering stuff via the scanner keypad.

Instead you can use you PC's key board and easily check options on and off.

You still have to learn the concepts and terms (banks, channels, trunk group ID, control channel, frequency, mode) in order to program it with either method, unless you are happy with the stuff that's already programmed into it's V-folders from the factory. Just load the one for your area and you should have stuff to listen to.

Ed