Newcomer

Default New non-radar detector sighted on 280

I saw a CHP officer testing what I think was the new type of speed detection device on 280 during the July 4th 2005 weekend. I am referring to the new system that compares sequential digital photos of your vehicle in reference to any chosen fixed object. The tech comes from the military. It is completely passive, which explains why my v1 was dead silent as I went past him aiming it at my car and the surrounding traffic.

If it was the new device, we are screwed, as they will mount this sucker everywhere hooked up to cameras to do photo radar throughout the state freeway system eventually. It is undetectable by consumer devices.

Experienced

If it become general, you have to buy a GPS device and need database, as people in England usually do.

Old Timer

I believe this is what you are talking about

http://www.radardetector.net/We-are-...nted-1044t.php

The only problem with this will be the cost of the unit. I thought it was going to be mainly used for military use. Are you saying that you town is actually using this?

Radar Fanatic

Are you sure it wasn't a simple laser gun? The V1 is incredible with laser, but once in a while it will miss. Perhaps you could describe exactly what you saw. I could understand if a laser gun looked like a video camera to someone.

Newcomer

Default Laser or new passive photo unit

I cannot rule out that perhaps the unit I saw the CHP officer holding was the latest and greatest Stalker LIDAR unit.

http://www.stalkerradar.com/law_lidar.shtml

My car was no more 50 feet from him, passed right in his LIDAR gun line, and he appeared to be using it, but perhaps he was off the trigger when I passed. At the very least it means CHP is using laser on 280, at the worst it could have been a protoype of the new tech. I was surprised that I got nothing, nada, being so close and in his aim, from my car or scattering of the beam from those around me. I know the beam is under 1 foot at its 4000 foot range, but the power needed to get a reading at that max spec distance should cause detectable return scatter energy that is detctable when I am so close to the source.

When I pass my hand close to the GPS LCD screen in the car and some of the LCD display advertsiing billboards along 101 will set off my laser warning as they output infrared light in the detection spectrum, so I know the v1 works. I am running v1.7 of the v1, perhaps I need v1.8. It would be great if Valentine would see add the frequency of the sidefire radar on caltrans units is and id it as such on the detector.

Another unit in use is the Stalker 2 system, see link below, that essentially sets up a moving field around the CHP car and advises the operator of a fast moving approaching vehicle in traffic, not unlike to arrows on the v1. I was not up to speed on this, and now I think understand why a CHP took a hard look at me one day even though I slowed before I got close to him.

Links below to the tech

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...411/speed.html
    http://www.stalkerradar.com/law_2x.shtml
    http://www.ingram-tech.com/what.htm

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Laser or new passive photo unit

Quote Originally Posted by MLPanzer
    When I pass my hand close to the GPS LCD screen in the car and some of the LCD display advertsiing billboards along 101 will set off my laser warning as they output infrared light in the detection spectrum, so I know the v1 works.
    Ah, the old circle star theater neon billboard. Excellent laser checker.
    My V1.7 was tested by Chris at Http://www.jammertests.com and it did exceptionally well at picking up the stealth laser gun so I would not upgrade if I were you.
    I personally like the 1.7 better than the 1.8
    If you do decide to upgrade don't turn yours in as you might not like the new one.
    Although they do have a policy that you can get your old one back if you don't like the new one.
    What are you doing with your K band so that the drones on 280 don't drive you nuts?

Newcomer

Default 1.7 vs. 1.8, and drones on 280

I am learning the intervals and alert detection patterns of the drones on 280 so I do not have a heart attack :-)

What is wrong in the 1.8 model such that you wished to go back to 1.7?

Radar Fanatic

I have been forced to go to the Max automute settings 7,b,E,F not using g yet but will probably go back to it as well. was using 7,b,g
    Even with these settings the drones are getting through because the V1 needs 10 seconds of no signal to reset the time threshold.
    These drones are really annoying, very random also sometimes you go by and nothing or a small hit other times it is full tone in the back.
    Thank goodness for A mode for hot radar zones and the CHP for Ka only.

MLPanzer, the reason I sent the 3.818 back was because there is a flaw in the software that causes the K band to have multiple bogies on a single radar source mainly K band speed signs as many as 3-4 on a single.
    I sent it into repair before getting a credit but Mike the tech found nothing wrong with my unit.
    Racer X and jimbonzzz have experienced the same thing.
    Buy one for a test drive but don't send yours in as you might regret it.
    They do have a policy of returning your old unit it unhappy.
    The J alert was cool but it only happened one time in three weeks.

Newcomer

Default v1.8

Thanks for info...I will stick with 1.7 given your experience with 1.8, and perhaps they will add something to the product to combat the drones. I think we should all write letters to Valentine and let him know what is happening, and maybe they can do something in the code or to id the frequency closer to what the drones use..