Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Florida Bill to Keep Slower Traffic to the Right!!

UPDATE:
    On 5/02/2008; The Bill died in Finance and Tax, another great service to the citizens these legislators represent. They didn't even vote on the bill.

UPDATE:
    On 4/21/2008; the Bill has passed the Criminal Justice Committee with 6 YEAS and 1 NAY. You can view the status at the bill website. As of 4/26/2008 the Bill has now moved to "Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2); Now in Finance and Tax -SJ 00753"

I strongly urge everyone to take 5 minutes out of your day and send a few e-mails. You now have an opportunity to voice your opinion in a traffic law that will change the way Florida Traffic Flows. I've posted the summary of the law below, in addition to the e-mail address of a few legislators that will be deciding the issue. Please take the time to support this cause.

S658 Road Rage and Aggressive Careless Driving
    [EPCC]; Creates the "Highway Safety Act" to reduce road rage and aggressive careless driving, reduce the incidence of drivers' interfering with the movement of traffic, minimize crashes, and promote the orderly, free flow of traffic on state roads and highways. Requires a driver to yield the left lane when being overtaken by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed on roads, streets, or highways with two or more lanes, etc.

Link to the Bill: http://flsenate.gov/session/index.cf...lnum=658<br />
    Legislators:
    Quick Copy'nPaste List:
    dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov, aronberg.dave.web@flsenate.gov, crist.victor.web@flsenate.gov, dawson.mandy.web@flsenate.gov, king.james.web@flsenate.gov, lynn.evelyn.web@flsenate.gov, wilson.frederica.web@flsenate.gov, wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov

Sample Message:
    "I strongly encourage you to support the upcoming S658 on Road Rage and Aggressive Careless Driving. Over the past several years Road Rage has become a growing concern in our community and approving a bill such as the S658 would help greatly reduce driver interference that results often in Road Rage. This bill will also provide assistant in reducing traffic congestion and will make our roadways safer than without."

- Chair: Senator Paula Dockery (R) - Email: dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov
    - Vice Chair: Senator Dave Aronberg (D) - Email: aronberg.dave.web@flsenate.gov
    Senator Victor D. Crist (R) - Email: crist.victor.web@flsenate.gov
    Senator M. Mandy Dawson (D) - Email: dawson.mandy.web@flsenate.gov
    Senator James E. "Jim" King, Jr. (R) - Email: king.james.web@flsenate.gov
    Senator Evelyn J. Lynn (R) - Email: lynn.evelyn.web@flsenate.gov
    Senator Frederica S. Wilson (D) - Email: wilson.frederica.web@flsenate.gov
    Senator Stephen R. Wise (R) - Email: wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov

Why approve this law?

Link: http://www.motorists.org/lanecourtes...portant/<br />
    -It will reduce road rage incidents by reducing traffic interference.
    -It will increase the flow of traffic, allowing faster traffic to pass slower traffic.
    -It will provide an open lane for situations where a lane might need to be cleared quickly, ie an Ambulance approaches...
    -It allow officers to easily ticket "evil" speeders if necessary.

Lane courtesy is the simple act of moving to the right to allow faster traffic to pass. This act of courtesy will significantly improve highway safety. By not obstructing other drivers, we are allowing traffic to flow more smoothly. When traffic flows smoothly, there is less tailgating, less weaving in-and-out of traffic, and therefore fewer accidents.

When drivers exercise lane courtesy, they defuse the situations that cause road rage. Ask almost any motorist what irritates them the most and the majority will answer, "left lane hogs." It is the failure of slower traffic to keep right or yield to the right, when faster traffic approaches, that makes driving a frustrating burden. The courteous act of moving to the right can eliminate driver stress and conflict, and make fellow travelers happy to share the road.

Yielding to faster traffic also reduces road congestion. When traffic is flowing smoothly, highway capacity can be utilized to its fullest extent. There are fewer speed fluctuations and lane changes, and less tail-gating. Also, an added benefit of lane courtesy is reduced air pollution.

Almost all states have some type of "slower traffic keep right" law. Now is the time to reawaken interest and support for this incredibly important and positive traffic safety concept.

Good Citizen

How about NO new law and the state just post "reminder" signs all over the place to GET OVER. If the law passes they will do that anyway. I say NO! Don't vote for another bill that will take away more of your rights!

Newcomer

Considering the fact that Florida already has a minor Lane Courtesy Law 316.081(2), it shows that what is already in place is not good enough. Numerous times Road Rage incidents occur when the passing driver tries to signal the other driver to move over. Creating a law that reinforces the current one will be a great way to educate these bad drivers.

I wouldn't say this is taking away drivers rights; Otherwise the biggest supporters of driver rights, the National Motorists Association, wouldn't support this bill. But guess what, they do. Other states already have this law in place, and it doesn't seem to be infringing on any rights.

Here's a great website with more information....
    http://www.lanecourtesy.org/concept.html

whats the point nobody obeys these laws anyway. ILL has a similar law and drivers still don't move over and the LEO's do nothing. they would rather sit and try to catch speeders then look for bad drivers. there is no money in bad drivers but there is plenty to be made off of speeders. its all about the money. follow the money and you will see what laws the LEO's enforce.

also most drivers do not know the laws anyway so another law that people don't know and ignore and that is not enforced is a waste of tax dollars to pass.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by robert2617
    How about NO new law and the state just post "reminder" signs all over the place to GET OVER. If the law passes they will do that anyway. I say NO! Don't vote for another bill that will take away more of your rights!
    LOL,

Well yeah, its not like they really care about our safefty, they only post those reminder board for the emergency vehicle law. Anyways, the idiots that drive in florida can not read... Florida has one of the worst literacy rates, besides the county as a whole.

Street Lawyer

What we really need to do is make the Left Lane minimum speed limit 70mph w/ maximum of 100 =)

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky225
    What we really need to do is make the Left Lane minimum speed limit 70mph w/ maximum of 100 =)
    LOL, if only we could legislate.

Lead Foot

I have posted on this before but I'll say agan left lane bandits I think cause more road rage than anything else...If for every speeding ticket a holding the left lane ticket was given in my town heck I'd probably give away my RD...

I was on the interstate yesterday and somebody was doing this for about 5 miles at exactly the speed limit - riding right next to an 18 wheeler with cars piling up behind. Not only is this illegal, but how dangerous it it to ride in an 18 wheelers blind spot for 5 miles? Grrrrrrrr....would not move for anything. Wheres an LEO when you need them?

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave
    I have posted on this before but I'll say agan left lane bandits I think cause more road rage than anything else...If for every speeding ticket a holding the left lane ticket was given in my town heck I'd probably give away my RD...

I was on the interstate yesterday and somebody was doing this for about 5 miles at exactly the speed limit - riding right next to an 18 wheeler with cars piling up behind. Not only is this illegal, but how dangerous it it to ride in an 18 wheelers blind spot for 5 miles? Grrrrrrrr....would not move for anything. Wheres an LEO when you need them?
    ABSOLUTELLY!!! You have no idea how much I HATE these damn bastards, the lane on their right is totally empty, they have nobody to pass but they keep on driving in the fast (left) lane at the PSL or slightly over the PSL, others in my area even bellow the PSL, why? too freaking busy with the damn phone :x :x :x

Street Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave

ABSOLUTELLY!!! You have no idea how much I HATE these *BEEP* bastards, the lane on their right is totally empty, they have nobody to pass but they keep on driving in the fast (left) lane at the PSL or slightly over the PSL, others in my area even bellow the PSL, why? too freaking busy with the *BEEP* phone :x :x :x
    AMEN TO THAT!, some dumba$$ who was turning right from the yeild lane onto my road almost hit me yesterday , when I swerved into the left lane(thank god the light in my direction of the intersection was red, so no one was in that lane) I look to the right and this guy is just on the phone, oblivious to the fact that I was even there